Pimafix / melafix - danger to labyrinth fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Delapool

AA Member
Site Team
Has anyone experienced troubles using these meds with betta's, etc that have a labyrinth organ? Would also be interested in any articles either way.

I know there are a lot of posts saying they are dangerous for these fish but wondering if this is reality?

Please note I'm not looking to treat any fish just curious. I have used it on other fish and down the track may get betta's etc again hence the interest.

Also I would be interested in cure rates for severe infections. Anything appreciated :)

Has anyone experienced troubles using these meds with betta's, etc that have a labyrinth organ? Would also be interested in any articles either way.

I know there are a lot of posts saying they are dangerous for these fish but wondering if this is reality?

Please note I'm not looking to treat any fish just curious. I have used it on other fish and down the track may get betta's etc again hence the interest.

Also I would be interested in cure rates for severe infections. Anything appreciated :)

I've never heard of this (haven't seeked it either), but I'd be curious to know as my gourami has a labyrinth organ also.

Been meaning to post this for a bit :)

I should of added betafix as well (which is interesting a weaker version of melafix would be specifically made).

I find it needs a lot of respect in use but could well be biased.

The warning about it damaging labyrinth fish comes straight from the API website so it's safe to assume it's correct.

Hugh yeah I had herd this on this website but never looked into it either.. What would y'all use if the situation arose.. For bacterial or fungal infection that's invertebrate safe! And good for more sensitive fish

Hugh yeah I had herd this on this website but never looked into it either.. What would y'all use if the situation arose.. For bacterial or fungal infection that's invertebrate safe! And good for more sensitive fish

Melafix and pimafix are pretty useless as far as actual treatment goes. They are a good preventative or for use in very minor problems but real medications need to be used for full blown infections.

Melafix and pimafix are pretty useless as far as actual treatment goes. They are a good preventative or for use in very minor problems but real medications need to be used for full blown infections.

Yeah i figured melafix is not going to be as effective as erythromycin or tetracycline ect.. on treating infections.. thankfully i have never had an infection requiring full blown antibiotics yet.. but if it is not severe yet IMO i would try treating with something less harsh like melafix see if it heals up before pulling out the big guns.. i guess i was mainly wandering if their is another less toxic herbal treatment antibacterial for labyrinth fish for early signs of possible infection? such as any experience with Kordon?Positives/Negatives?

Yeah i figured melafix is not going to be as effective as erythromycin or tetracycline ect.. on treating infections.. thankfully i have never had an infection requiring full blown antibiotics yet.. but if it is not severe yet IMO i would try treating with something less harsh like melafix see if it heals up before pulling out the big guns.. i guess i was mainly wandering if their is another less toxic herbal treatment antibacterial for labyrinth fish for early signs of possible infection? such as any experience with Kordon?Positives/Negatives?

I've not tried Kordon. From posts Kordon ich attack seems ok, if slow and not a miracle cure. Anyone welcome to correct :)

I've found for fish that are off pimafix and melafix can be useful. Like they are sick or have mild infection but nothing showing. Columnaris it didn't cure at all (although nothing else did either I could get my hands on). Same for full blown fungal. Otherwise for severe infections I would not use it.

I still use it but find it needs to be well mixed and I lightly dose. This is after killing off quite a few otherwise healthy fish with it. I've also noticed and this is just a few times but if a fish will have trouble than it is likely to be female (bloating, shimmy). I wouldn't add it directly to a betta tank, especially one with light or no filter flow. However I'm really just speculating. Anyone used it with bettas?

Last edited:
I found it around a year ago, not sure if I can find it again but I will look for it.

I used to use these products but I've since stopped.

In my honest opinion, prevention is key. Nothing beats a bare bottom quarantine tank. I keep a 5.5 fully cycled and running for treatments and introduction.

I've had better results treating minor infections and injuries with a good diet and clean water.

I believe Melafix is what killed my betta. He had some torn fins...I had silk plants but one had little plastic pieces on the bottom and he must have torn them on that. They weren't healing very fast, even after I took out the plant. I had him in a filtered 5 gallon and my aquarium savvy friend told me that Melafix would help, and I didn't do any of my own research. Dosed what it said on the bottle and the next day my betta wasn't acting right. Emergency 50% water change and another one the next day, but he died later that night. Besides the fins he was healthy, active, less than a year old. I'll never NOT heavily research anything that goes into my tanks again, that's for sure.

My friend used melafix when her betta had torn a fin she followed the instructions and came back to check on him after work he was gasping at the surface so she did a large pwc hoping it would help but sadly lost him. After her experience i think I would be wary to use it myself on any labyrinth fish.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've had similar experiences... At least 2-3 bettas that didn't seem too bad off took a sudden turn for the worse after I used melafix on them per the directed dosage. I have much better luck with super clean water, a touch of salt, and good food while in quarantine. I'd rather err on the side of caution when a medication has a reputation for being harmful to a certain type of fish/invert since there's so many other meds on the market.

I've had similar experiences... At least 2-3 bettas that didn't seem too bad off took a sudden turn for the worse after I used melafix on them per the directed dosage. I have much better luck with super clean water, a touch of salt, and good food while in quarantine. I'd rather err on the side of caution when a medication has a reputation for being harmful to a certain type of fish/invert since there's so many other meds on the market.

^This +1

I used to use these products but I've since stopped.

In my honest opinion, prevention is key. Nothing beats a bare bottom quarantine tank. I keep a 5.5 fully cycled and running for treatments and introduction.

I've had better results treating minor infections and injuries with a good diet and clean water.

I have gravel in my quarantine tank. Should I take it out?

I have gravel in my quarantine tank. Should I take it out?

Bare bottom tanks offer the advantages of seeing the poop, as well as any parasites that may fall of and can be siphoned out during water changes. Also if you have a fish on qt that has a bug, it could survive in the gravel until another fish is added. I wouldn't keep gravel in the qt tank.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Bare bottom tanks offer the advantages of seeing the poop, as well as any parasites that may fall of and can be siphoned out during water changes. Also if you have a fish on qt that has a bug, it could survive in the gravel until another fish is added. I wouldn't keep gravel in the qt tank.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

^Agreed. Gravel is pretty inconsequential compared to caves/tubes/fake plants when it comes to providing shelter and comfort while the fish is in QT, so it really serves no purpose outside of aesthetics. Personally, the benefits of a bare bottom quarantine tank far outweigh any aethetics it provides.

That said, I do usually plunk a shelter-type decoration of some sort in so the fish isn't stressed by a totally empty tank, and then I sterilize the decoration between each QT batch. Makes it much easier to keep the QT a sterile healing environment while still minimizing fish stress.

Back
Top Bottom