Pistol Shrimp aggressiveness

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thanew

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I have a tiger pistol shrimp, I've had him for about 10 months now and all of a sudden it seems that he is a lot more aggressive.

I've seen him attack snails, and most recently he killed my largest snail and used its shell to block off one of the entrances to him and the goby's domain.

Last week though, he killed my emerald crab who had been in the tank longer than he had. Now this wasn't an ordinary, small little crab, the crab was actually bigger than the pistol shrimp, heck one of his claws/pincers was about 75% of the pistol shrimps size.

My question is, is this normal ? I thought the goby was the one that would retrieve the food since the shrimp is practically blind..

-Thane

They are actually quite aggressive and extremely territorial. Pistols will go after anything that goes in or gets near their burrow. Shrimp, crabs, corals, snail and fish. Doesn't matter. It's one of the risks you take when keeping these guys.

Cheers
Steve

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom