Plant ID Help Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SolvingNormal

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm not sure what the plant pictured below is. The first photo shows the stem structure, and the second attempts to show the types of leaves at the top. They're different from the leaves along the stem, most of which grew in my tank, although it may have originally started off emersed.

There are no branches, just one solid stalk which has gotten thicker over time. The plant has just put out three tendrils (roots?) from the stalk that can be seen in one of the photos. I'd like to propagate, but I don't really know how to without knowing more about the plant. It's the only one in my tank, and so some ID advice would be great so I can better prune it and hopefully propagate.

Cindi

Edit: I realized you can't see from the photos, but the stem is... segmented? Almost like bamboo... there's two leaves (opposite sides) per segment, until it gets to that really leafy crown.

Attachments

• unknownplant_small.jpg
    unknownplant_small.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 51
  • unknownplant_small2.jpg
    unknownplant_small2.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 47
Hygrophila difformis/water wisteria I believe. They have large round teethy leaves when emersed but submersed, they remember water sprite. Cuttings to propagate.

I've got lots of water sprite in the tank. It's not water sprite. It's much bulkier, and has the segmented stem, as well as no offshoots.

Woops, typo, meant to say RESEMBLES* water sprite leafwise vs its emersed leaves, not remember.
I didn't say it was :)

Woops, typo, meant to say RESEMBLES* water sprite leafwise vs its emersed leaves, not remember.
I didn't say it was :)

Ah, ok, I misread then. Thanks. Will it eventually sprout off branches/nodes I can take cuttings from? Right now it's just one big stem and leaves. Anything I should be doing other than removing dead stuff, and the usual fertilizing/excel?

I think its a pretty easy plant AFAIK but I dose with those things too, I got mine somewhat recently and its finally starting to get submersed leaves. It acts like most stem plants, I cut the tops and the base will send off another shoot near the cut area while the cuttings get replanted and reroot.

Back
Top Bottom