Plant Name Confusion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Old Scales

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a little tree shaped plant that I really like. They used to be called Ammania Bonsai but internet info says it was renamed Rotala Indica. I looked it up under this new name and what they show is NOT this plant. Jetta, Rivercats, Aqua-chem or any other plant gurus can you help me out here. I hate telling people about this plant and be using the wrong name.
Thanks, OS.
Attached Thumbnails

Ammania Bonsai and rotala indica are the same plant. For many years (and still to this day in certain circles), rotala indica and rotala rotundifolia were used interchangeable, so the search records (ie google text search, image search, etc) will be an absolute trainwreck. Your plant looks like the correct rotala indica (ie previously ammania bonsai).

Thanks Aqua,
So the confusion will continue huh? Since there's two different plants often confused in the write ups I'll have to keep referring to aka. Ammania Bonsai when talking about it.
OS.

It's always hard when plant names are changed or used interchangeably with other names. I kind of got into the habit of writing it like this for example: True rotala indica formerly called Ammannia bonsai. That way people can see both names to hopefully help them out.

It's always hard when plant names are changed or used interchangeably with other names. I kind of got into the habit of writing it like this for example: True rotala indica formerly called Ammannia bonsai. That way people can see both names to hopefully help them out.

That being said, whatever problem we have with latin names is 10x worse when people use common names. The entire hygrophila genus is also a trainwreck in this regard.

Being an old timer in the hobby since the hey day of Axelrod and Innes I've seen the latin fish names change drastically too. Oh the joy of advancing taxonomy! How dare them call my Brachydanio a Dario! lol OS.

Being an old timer in the hobby since the hey day of Axelrod and Innes I've seen the latin fish names change drastically too. Oh the joy of advancing taxonomy! How dare them call my Brachydanio a Dario! lol OS.

OS -
I remember an episode of "My Three Sons" where the father character (Fred MacMurray) referred to the fish in the fish bowl as Lebistes reticulatus. Classic.

* I'll see myself out *

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom