Planted 20 Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You only need to trim off dying leaves and any leaves that shoot up towards the surface. By keeping surface leaves trimmed off you encourage submerged growth which is what you want. You trim leaves off at the bottom of their stems near the bulb base.

Ok i'm new to the planted scene :)

Yes so was I not that long ago a young padawan in aquatic plants. But a certian Zen master of aquatic plants taught me quite a bit and I still bug her with random questions. =D

Nice I mean the only plant i'm having trouble growing is my peacock fern which is tied to driftwood

I use Ru-tabs from peabodysparadise.com there a well balanced McKay based diy tab. It has 2 types of clay powder, micros and macros.

Nice I mean the only plant i'm having trouble growing is my peacock fern which is tied to driftwood

You'd be having problems with it because it's not an aquatic plant. Look up Selaginella uncinata and you'll see it's not even a fern but a type of club moss. I actually have some growing in a breeder box.

Yes so was I not that long ago a young padawan in aquatic plants. But a certian Zen master of aquatic plants taught me quite a bit and I still bug her with random questions. =D

Ah yes but the young padawn is well on his way to becoming a planted tank knight!

You'd be having problems with it because it's not an aquatic plant. Look up Selaginella uncinata and you'll see it's not even a fern but a type of club moss. I actually have some growing in a breeder box.

How do I get it to grow just let it float?

IMO it's rather a PITA plant. I've tried it in a breeder box with proper substrate with just it's roots in the water and it still didn't do worth a poo for me. I finally scraped it.

IMO it's rather a PITA plant. I've tried it in a breeder box with proper substrate with just it's roots in the water and it still didn't do worth a poo for me. I finally scraped it.

Just one of those huh?

So my vals are startingting to look a little sickly but they have only been in the tank a week max. Hopefully it bounces back good.

You might want to cut back on Glut if your using it but mine looked like crap IMO for quite some time when I first put them in.

For me that moss was a total bust!

I have cork Vals and I just can't them going. They stay small, throw up new leaves then melt back.

When funds permit I'm planning on upgraded my lighting to at least moderate.

You might want to cut back on Glut if your using it but mine looked like crap IMO for quite some time when I first put them in.

For me that moss was a total bust!

Since the riccia was a bust I put the diy co2 back on this tank and cut the glut in half down to 5ml.

On a side note the apistogramma cacatuoides are doing very well the male is starting to color up. I have 11 of the origional 12 rummy nose tetras I have no idea when that happened one just disappeared. The dwarf gourami is happy. And the a.r. mini is growing in I actually topped the tallest one and they all have little side shoots comin up from the base of them. The Christmas moss finally started doing well but the ammania gracillis is growing but its not like it should be and dull in color it and the Christmas moss are algae magnets so I think there being choked out some. The Fl sunset crypt is doing awesome I can't belive how big it got I actually broke it into 4 plants and re planted them with the move and they haven't shown any sign of crypt melt they did start pearling when I got the co2 going yesterday. I even put the smallest one in a different tank.

Back
Top Bottom