Planted 20 Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mike what's your red plant in the last picture bud?

Alantherina reineckii minni (not sure if I spelled that right)

Much better pics! Tank looks even better in HD! Haha

I like how your crypt is colored up bronzie-red like that.

Thank you it is a crypt wendtii Florida sunset I got from peabodys paradise.

Tank looks good, man. The dosing written on the tank made me laugh :lol:

Haha yeah at the time I had 5 tanks I was dosing with pps pro and glut and sometimes I would have my wife dose for me so I needed to make sure it got dosed right but now that I moved and changed some stuff in there I'm gonna have to start over. I have just 3 to dose now. LoL I turned my planted 10 into a fry tank and got rid of the planted bowl for a little while. LoL

Vals along the back will complement the greenery in the front and left sides of the tank. Nice colors and textures in there.

I'm thinkinng of removing the cabomba furcata in between the ammania gracillis in the center and the a.r. mini on the right the color of the a. Gracillis and the c.furcata just blend together too much for me.

I got some Ru-tabs and some iron-up tabs from peabodys and figured I'd go ahead and order 3 corckscrew vals so I put em in can't wait to see them grown in. To trim theese can I just cut them off at the height I want or just trim like I would with the amazon sword? Taking outter leaves off at the base. Also are they heavy root feeders?

When I had corkscrew val's at first they sat and did nothing for at least 3 months and I've heard that from other people. But once they acclimated well they just took off. I never trimmed or topped them at all. If a leaf got bad I would cut it off at the base. Also when they began to throw out runners sometimes I would let them root where the landed but I would also cut one's not where I wanted and plant them where I did want them. Also I never had any problems with my corkscrews and high levels of Glut but I've heard others say their did melt and other's like me that had no issues.

When I had corkscrew val's at first they sat and did nothing for at least 3 months and I've heard that from other people. But once they acclimated well they just took off. I never trimmed or topped them at all. If a leaf got bad I would cut it off at the base. Also when they began to throw out runners sometimes I would let them root where the landed but I would also cut one's not where I wanted and plant them where I did want them. Also I never had any problems with my corkscrews and high levels of Glut but I've heard others say their did melt and other's like me that had no issues.

Cool so they grow spread like microsword? Should I give them a root tab?

Yep they spread the same way. I never gave them root tabs as they take most of their nutrients via the water.

Yep they spread the same way. I never gave them root tabs as they take most of their nutrients via the water.

Good to know. So all my plants (the ones that use them) got root tabs and a couple got iron tabs today. The growth on the red tiger lotus pretty much halted since I moved some of the runners so I trimmed some of the taller leaves off hoping to encourage new lower leaf growth it should be uappy since it got a root and an iron tab today.

Man I hope that Val don't take 3 months to do something. We will see if its not too tall I think they will look god where I plaved them.

My lotus always do and look much better when I keep reg root tabs and iron root tabs going on a 45 day schedule.

That will give a nice vertical break between the plants once the grow and fill in!

You only need to trim off dying leaves and any leaves that shoot up towards the surface. By keeping surface leaves trimmed off you encourage submerged growth which is what you want. You trim leaves off at the bottom of their stems near the bulb base.

Back
Top Bottom