Planted 20 Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I prefer my substrate from 2" to preferably around 3". I also have added Eco to my tank without removing plants if I'm not adding too much.

As for the "Dwarf" Cardinal plant... I've always been under the assumption that it is a true aquatic BUT that the regular Cardinal plant is a marginal. I actually grow reg. Cardinal plant around my one pond. I think I would research this plant before dismissing it as an option. But there are other smaller plants that could be used there.

Not dismissing it, just not dismissing it as for using it... lol!

Im researching it now is there other plants that are similar in shape and size but still has a real deep solid purple.

Edit: oh I just read its not purple submersed. Hmmm.

Last edited:
yYeah I was just going to send that. There is a beautiful red and pink -Alternanthera Reinekii mini but it is really pricey. Or you could look into Rotala Mini Butterfly. I have it and it's so delicate and simple a georgeous red. It's not so pricey and is often for sale on The Planted Tank buy and sell forum.

So for the substrate my bed is only 1" deep and I have roots already growing in out and back in the substrate. so I was thinking about getting something to put under the sand I would like to do dirt but don't wanna risk the fishes health. My plan is to remove all water into a plastic tote along with the fish, filter, decorations and plants. Then scrape all the black sand up put down 15# pof either eco complete or one of the seachems flourite then add the black sand back on top. Or would I actually be better off putting down dirt then the sand back on top. I just want the least stressful way for the fish but at the same time want my plants to flourish. Thank you.

Also my current stock is 1 dwarf honey sunset gourami 12 rummynose 4panda corys 4 asassin snails and some pond snails would I be grossly overstocked if I added a pair of apistogramma cacatuoides and one more panda I will be taking 3 of the rummynose out for my shrimp tank and axing 5 more to it and the asassin snails

Last edited:
Adding dirt will be more work afterwards for a couple weeks due to your having to do extra WC's to keep up with some of the excess nutrients being released. Just using say and Eco substrate about 3" thick will go in easy and make a minimal mess and won't require any extra work other than just replanting and adding the fish back in. I have actually changed graveled tanks over to Eco by doing what you said above and after the Eco and water with filter has run about 1/2-1 hours I just added the fish back. The fish are fine in a bucket for that amount of time without a filter and heater.

Ok cool so should I use eco, seachem flourish sand or flora max also should I cap it or mix it into my current substrate. Thank you.

Edit: did some reaserch I think eco-complete is what I'm going to go with.

Last edited:
Its really just a matter of choice. I prefer capping but the top substrate will always end up mixing into the lower due to different grain size. Personally I'd use whatever is the closest match to what you already have so if or when they mix it's a pleasant looking.

After much research today I chose eco complete and just ordered it should be here within a week. I think I'm gonna just mix it in. Should I add anything to the substrate to help it out some? Jeta is suppose to contact me tomorrow with an invoice. Can't wait to find out how much of what I want he can actually get. I also took a dry erase marker to the outside of the tank I think I know how I'm gonna shape the substrate. Half tempted to go look around for some good wood in the forest around me but being in Fl I'm sure its all rotted I might go to some craft stores and see what they have for driftwood.

I don't think you need to add anything to the substrate and you sound like you have a good plan worked out.

Well its my first go at a planted tank not to good at terrestrial plants so we will see how this goes. LoL if it goes good I might try an idea I have for that 55 have soaking out front. Think redwood forest aquascape.....

Made my plant order from jetajockey at peabodysparadise.com very good customer service probablly the best ever.
Here's the list of what I got.

Hygro kompakt
L.aromatica
Crypt wendtii Fl sunset
L.ovalis
Marble sword
Myrio red
Christmas moss
Tiger lotus
Curved tongs
20 pack ru tabs

Can't wait for Tuesday to get here.I'm sure ill be blowing up this thread with questions on what should be tweaked here and shifted there.

Hey MM,
I made my first order from Jeta also this week, based on E1's good feedback. For the first try out, I ordered some Ludwigia Glandulosa and Ludwigia Ovalis & 50 Ru Tabs. I'll check with you in a couple of weeks to see how your Ovalis & Hygro Komp. are doing for you.
LOL Like Christmas ain't it? Hee Hee. OS

Hey MM,
I made my first order from Jeta also this week, based on E1's good feedback. For the first try out, I ordered some Ludwigia Glandulosa and Ludwigia Ovalis & 50 Ru Tabs. I'll check with you in a couple of weeks to see how your Ovalis & Hygro Komp. are doing for you.
LOL Like Christmas ain't it? Hee Hee. OS

This we hole week is like Xmas between the eco complete from petco the stuff from jeta and some low light stuff for my 10 plus the tongs I ordered off amazon then next week or two I will be ordering dry ferts.

I made my 3rd or 4th order yesterday, hahaha. You're going to love the tiger lotus. I got my red tiger lotus a week or two ago and there are already 4 or 5 new leaves, and it looks incredible! The Florida sunset is a great looking crypt too, just be warned that it may completely melt after you plant it, but new growth will appear pretty quickly.

Did you get your Fl sunset from peabodys. When it grew back in its emersed form did it keep all its color of did it come back looking like a wendtii bronze? also does anyone know anything about the hygro kompakt. Is it a heavy root feeder or is it a water column feeder?

Back
Top Bottom