Planted 30x30x30cm cube

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
hey mumma, awesome tank!

I haven't been into aquariums for many years now (gave up after i had like 5 tanks running and had uni to deal with =P) but now that im finishing up i really want to get back into it because looking at your pictures makes me haha

Are the osmocote root tabs safe for aquariums? how many did you use in your substrate?

neo-2FX said:
hey mumma, awesome tank!

I haven't been into aquariums for many years now (gave up after i had like 5 tanks running and had uni to deal with =P) but now that im finishing up i really want to get back into it because looking at your pictures makes me haha

Are the osmocote root tabs safe for aquariums? how many did you use in your substrate?

Thank you :)
Welcome back to the hobby!
Osmocotes safe IME/O. You have to put it under the substrate because I have heard if left above you could get ammonia or algae but I've never had a problem. I put all new 'root tabs' under my substrate and 2 days later ripped out all my plants and rearranged. It's been 2 weeks and I haven't encountered a problem.
In Aus we have different Osmocotes. I use the Aus native mix. I do have to pick out the blue granules - wetting agents - which is a pain but it only takes a minute.
In America you can use the normal osmocote (pink container?). I freeze 6-10 granules in an ice cube and push them into the substrate. Lasts 2 months or so.

Mumma.of.two said:
Thank you :)
Welcome back to the hobby!
Osmocotes safe IME/O. You have to put it under the substrate because I have heard if left above you could get ammonia or algae but I've never had a problem. I put all new 'root tabs' under my substrate and 2 days later ripped out all my plants and rearranged. It's been 2 weeks and I haven't encountered a problem.
In Aus we have different Osmocotes. I use the Aus native mix. I do have to pick out the blue granules - wetting agents - which is a pain but it only takes a minute.
In America you can use the normal osmocote (pink container?). I freeze 6-10 granules in an ice cube and push them into the substrate. Lasts 2 months or so.

Oh awesome!

Im from aus so ill keep an eye out for the native mix. Thanks for the advice :)

Lol oh mumma..another tank!!:D i thought we were done...3 ago? Lol!

Looks great, AS USUAL!

Dinosaur spit and pee

I choked on my coffee when I read that. Best. Names. Ever. Also, 10% glut? Good stuff.

I'm not sure how well you downoi will do under those conditions. It's a pretty touchy plant under the best of conditions. Make sure you keep a watchful eye on him to make sure he doesn't start to melt on you.

aqua_chem said:
I choked on my coffee when I read that. Best. Names. Ever. Also, 10% glut? Good stuff.

I'm not sure how well you downoi will do under those conditions. It's a pretty touchy plant under the best of conditions. Make sure you keep a watchful eye on him to make sure he doesn't start to melt on you.

Lol!! I'm sorry to do that to you. :)

I read it was a bit iffy without co2. I'll try my hardest not to melt him. It's such a beautiful plant how could I not try?
Do you have any tips?

If you don't mind my asking, what kind of light do you have on that cube? Will you be using CO2 with a light that bright? (Sorry if you already mentioned this, and I missed it.) I tried a desk lamp like that once on my 30 gallon cube, and I got a major outbreak of algae.....that's why I'm curious. I'm still trying to figure out this light to ferts to CO2 balance thing. :oops:

Jill said:
If you don't mind my asking, what kind of light do you have on that cube? Will you be using CO2 with a light that bright? (Sorry if you already mentioned this, and I missed it.) I tried a desk lamp like that once on my 30 gallon cube, and I got a major outbreak of algae.....that's why I'm curious. I'm still trying to figure out this light to ferts to CO2 balance thing. :oops:

No co2.
I'm using a product the same as excel.
It's a GE 20w spiral cfl 6500K. I'm using it because that's what I had in the cupboard and I have one over my 8g Betta tank and one over my 8g ripariam and it works well.

neo-2FX said:
Ah right infront of me! Thanks mumma, haha i was looking for root tabs written on it lol

Lol! I did the same thing. Walked up and down the isle looking like a goof trying to find it. :)

image-1212732715.jpg

This is what it will look like. You don't want the blue granules. They are the wetting agent. IDK the effect in an aquarium so I take them out.

Thanks for the info! I think I'll pick up some excel today, get my lamp back out, pick up one of those bulbs, and use it in conjunction with my puny fluorescent. I know my plants will thank me (and you!) lol

Mumma.of.two said:
Lol! I did the same thing. Walked up and down the isle looking like a goof trying to find it. :)

This is what it will look like. You don't want the blue granules. They are the wetting agent. IDK the effect in an aquarium so I take them out.

Haha yeah that was pretty much me lol. Thanks for the info

Back
Top Bottom