Planted Bowls!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This looks amazing! What aquatic life do you plan to keepin it? Could you do a shrimp bowl like this without a filtration system?

A year or so back I had Cherry shrimp in a 1g dirted bowl and they thrived. I placed a small heater in there although they probably didn't need it all the time. It works out well, but as with all things in this hobby, you end up wanting more room for them :)

I am inspired now by all on this thread and want to join in on the planted bowl fun. Can't wait to start mine. What do you do just change the water a couple times a week like for betta bowls?

Thank you! :) I suppose you might be able to do shrimp as they have close to no bio load. A heater might be needed for certain species. I thought of using a under gravel heater, but was trying to keep cost down. I'll probably just throw some ghost shrimp in there, they're super cheap and very active.

I'm also planning on ghost shrimp. :) I have killed some ghost shrimp by not giving them a heater though. (But I also never turn my AC down unless it is snowing outside. Sometimes not even then. Lol.)

I am inspired now by all on this thread and want to join in on the planted bowl fun. Can't wait to start mine. What do you do just change the water a couple times a week like for betta bowls?

I would think so. I think several of us are kind of experimenting. Have fun!

Yep! I used an old 1/2 cup measuring cup to do the water changes. It's best to just take water from a mature tank to replace the water in the bowl. If you don't have another tank to take water from it will still be ok.

This seem like such a cool idea... Makes me really want to do this!

snail bowl vs. pico planted

Snail bowl - what I've been doing

Mine has the Cherry shrimp and they haven't made any babies, surprising since they should be cuddling more! jk Probably too chilly for that!

No heater but around 68F-72F After two months still alive. Since it is winter. In summer probably best not next to an AC vent.

On changing the water, I fill mine as it needs water from evaporation, from new treated water. Using older water can limit minerals, unless you are dosing them for ferts. I think the fresh water is best. I have been keeping a a scrap bowl for appx. 3 years, appx 1.5 with the snails.

Trying limited pwc and 80% pwc. I recently started using a turkey baster to clean the bottom, which is better than the airline tubing I used before.

Snails poop A LOT! Mostly an issue when I had several Mystery snails in there and fed too much too.

It has varied in time between but I do bowl cleaning about every 2 weeks with the turkey baster (no more Mystery snails in there and less feeding) and complete clean out about every month. Now that there is sand it will be easier to get the gunk from the bottom, so maybe just more pwc and less big cleanouts.

Also have MTS, and American pond trumpet snails which came from Jetajockey, to turn up the sand! And because they are pretty! LOL
###############

With the new set up I will be doing a planted pico...anybody have any pointers for that?

Billbug love the pipe idea, is it just in there with the sand holding it or did you silicone it in and if silicone which kind is safe to use? I can get clumsy!

Random question.. Those of you keeping snails in your bowls... Do you use anything as a cover or do you just leave it open?

Mine had plastic wrap twisted and tucked around the edge when I had Mystery snails since they will go for walks and never come back :(

Otherwise the cat liked to drink out of it , and now it has the saucer with plants coming out so "covered".

My next one, the pico planted, will be wide open! yikes!

Snail bowl - what I've been doing

Billbug love the pipe idea, is it just in there with the sand holding it or did you silicone it in and if silicone which kind is safe to use? I can get clumsy!

It's just resting in there... I hope it doesn't float up when I fill it... :facepalm:

JK, I'm pretty sure it won't float.

I'm most definitely participating! Great way to get into the planted hobby... Those tanks are so expensive to start up! Billbug is that tube of aquasoil for nutrients in the substrate? What if I just used sand? Or something of the sort.

I'm most definitely participating! Great way to get into the planted hobby... Those tanks are so expensive to start up! Billbug is that tube of aquasoil for nutrients in the substrate? What if I just used sand? Or something of the sort.

Sand itself doesn't hold a whole lot of nutrient. It is very easy to plant, which it's it pro. Something you could look into (if you wanna get invested) are some root tabs with your sand. Especially of you use plants like Crypts in a bowl like this.

From what I know (which is not very much), I thought that only specific plants were root feeders, and that others only needed ferts from the water?

From what I know (which is not very much), I thought that only specific plants were root feeders, and that others only needed ferts from the water?

It's very true. That is why I mentioned Crypts specifically (they are heavy root feeders). Why type of plants are you contemplating for a bowl?

I'm not sure yet, but I'll probably be going basic, with just sand, or something. So stem plants, correct? They are the water feeders?

I'm not sure yet, but I'll probably be going basic, with just sand, or something. So stem plants, correct? They are the water feeders?

Yep. Most, if not all, stem plants are water feeders. It can easily be determined by where they develop their roots. Most stem plants develop their roots in the water column as they grow, showing you that they absorb their nutrients in the water column itself, not the soil.

Ok so now I'm getting excited! Lol I have the bowl/vase (going with the tall one thx for the input there) making my list for the next trip into town. I'll need some sort of substrate along with plant substrate right? Also need to get plants and root tabs? I'm wondering with the size of the vase I'm using if I could put some shrimp in there too?

Ok so now I'm getting excited! Lol I have the bowl/vase (going with the tall one thx for the input there) making my list for the next trip into town. I'll need some sort of substrate along with plant substrate right? Also need to get plants and root tabs? I'm wondering with the size of the vase I'm using if I could put some shrimp in there too?

Well, you could go either way, maybe a sand or fine gravel, with root tabs. Or you could get a specific plant substrate. You may still need root tabs. But I think that's unlikely in a "bowl".

Billbug is that tube of aquasoil for nutrients in the substrate? What if I just used sand? Or something of the sort.

Yes, since I'm doing a dry start, I needed something heavy in nutrients. Plus, I had some left over from my other tank, so why not, right? :) You could definitely just use sand with root tabs if you are going to have root feeding plants.

Back
Top Bottom