Planted tank build!!!' HELP IS WELCOME

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You only need 1 java plant. I got 2 from the petsmart gel packs, and now I have over a dozen individual plants that I have no room for

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What do you mean you have a dozen now ?

40 gallon
1x leopard ctenopoma
1x albino bichir
1x tiger pleco
With live plants in the tank

75 gallon native tank
5 pumpkin seed sunfish
1 red crayfish
1 spotted bass

They grew little plantlets, and then they old leafs kept on sprouting new plantslets...might to a RAOK when the weather warms up

They grew little plantlets, and then they old leafs kept on sprouting new plantslets...might to a RAOK when the weather warms up

Wow that seems really interesting! I guess I'll just get one and if I want something else I'll get a different species

40 gallon
1x leopard ctenopoma
1x albino bichir
1x tiger pleco

75 gallon native tank
5 pumpkin seed sunfish
1 red crayfish
1 spotted bass

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421524137.949546.jpg
Hey guys here's an update! In the past few days my plants have turned very very green! Also water is crystal clear

40 gallon planted aquarium
1x leopard ctenopoma
1x albino bichir
1x tiger pleco

75 gallon native tank
5 pumpkin seed sunfish
1 red crayfish
1 spotted bass

Hey all I have a 40 gallon bowfront with low- light. I do not dose Co2 or ferts at this point..? Just letting fish waste as fertilizer. What other plants would be good for my setup?

View attachment 261154
Here is what I have so far
1x giant Anubias
1x Anubias petite
10x anarchis

40 gallon
1x leopard ctenopoma
1x albino bichir
1x tiger pleco

75 gallon native tank
5 pumpkin seed sunfish
1 red crayfish
1 spotted bass

Ferts give plants the nutrients that they need to grow. In low tech set ups you can look into commercial liquid fertilizers for the plants that uptake nutrients through the water column (such as mosses, anubias, Java ferns, most stems, etc). One common combination of ferts that you'll often see in low tech set ups is API Leafzone and Seachem Flourish Comprehensive. It's not a fully complete regiment but for low tech set ups it's a very solid base. Later on you can look into dry ferts. Plants that are heavy root feeders (crypts, swords, many rosettes) will benefit from root tabs placed under them. These you can buy commercially as well or make yourself (just do a forum search for diy root tabs).

CO2 is not necessary for low tech set ups but will always help. You can alternatively use a liquid carbon source such as Seachem Flourish Excel or its generic counterpart glutaraldehyde. Additionally you can look into diy co2, although I wouldn't worry about it too much at the moment.

Just some random notes:

Plant as many anubias and Java ferns as you want as they are very slow growing in low light set ups. I'd definitely start with more than one Java fern as they look much better in larger clumps and you'll be waiting forever to propagate them from their little plantlets. Try to keep them low as their slow growing leaves (particularly with anubias) can attract algae growth.

Get a timer for your lights if you don't have one already and look to run your lights around 6-8 hours a day.

Crypts are awesome in low light set ups as there are a ton of different types, ranging from very big (crypt balansae) to very small (crypt parva). Remember to give them root tabs.

Anubias and Java fern also come in many different varieties with different sizes and leaf structures. I particularly like Java fern 'Philippine' and 'narrow leaf' in smaller tanks.

Many types of mosses do well in low light. I'd recommend skipping Java moss (too messy) and looking for some Christmas or peacock moss.

Sent from my iPad using science

Ferts give plants the nutrients that they need to grow. In low tech set ups you can look into commercial liquid fertilizers for the plants that uptake nutrients through the water column (such as mosses, anubias, Java ferns, most stems, etc). One common combination of ferts that you'll often see in low tech set ups is API Leafzone and Seachem Flourish Comprehensive. It's not a fully complete regiment but for low tech set ups it's a very solid base. Later on you can look into dry ferts. Plants that are heavy root feeders (crypts, swords, many rosettes) will benefit from root tabs placed under them. These you can buy commercially as well or make yourself (just do a forum search for diy root tabs).

CO2 is not necessary for low tech set ups but will always help. You can alternatively use a liquid carbon source such as Seachem Flourish Excel or its generic counterpart glutaraldehyde. Additionally you can look into diy co2, although I wouldn't worry about it too much at the moment.

Just some random notes:

Plant as many anubias and Java ferns as you want as they are very slow growing in low light set ups. I'd definitely start with more than one Java fern as they look much better in larger clumps and you'll be waiting forever to propagate them from their little plantlets. Try to keep them low as their slow growing leaves (particularly with anubias) can attract algae growth.

Get a timer for your lights if you don't have one already and look to run your lights around 6-8 hours a day.

Crypts are awesome in low light set ups as there are a ton of different types, ranging from very big (crypt balansae) to very small (crypt parva). Remember to give them root tabs.

Anubias and Java fern also come in many different varieties with different sizes and leaf structures. I particularly like Java fern 'Philippine' and 'narrow leaf' in smaller tanks.

Many types of mosses do well in low light. I'd recommend skipping Java moss (too messy) and looking for some Christmas or peacock moss.

Sent from my iPad using science

Thank you the was very informative. The only thing I'm surprised with is the my giant Anubias has already grown 3 new leafs since purchased ( bout a month or two ago)

1x leopard ctenopoma
1x albino bichir
1x tiger pleco

75 gallon native tank
5 pumpkin seed sunfish
1 red crayfish
1 spotted bass

I agree, get flourish comprehensive and dose it weekly after water changes. Yes your plants will grow using nutrients from fish waste only, but they'll grow better if you are supplementing to make sure they have everything they need.

I agree, get flourish comprehensive and dose it weekly after water changes. Yes your plants will grow using nutrients from fish waste only, but they'll grow better if you are supplementing to make sure they have everything they need.

Ok I'll look into getting it next time I go to my lfs. Who makes it by the way?

1x leopard ctenopoma
1x albino bichir
1x tiger pleco

75 gallon native tank
5 pumpkin seed sunfish
1 red crayfish
1 spotted bass

Okay thanks for all the help. BTW for anarchis are they supposed to look this skinny? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421531706.921035.jpg

1x leopard ctenopoma
1x albino bichir
1x tiger pleco

75 gallon native tank
5 pumpkin seed sunfish
1 red crayfish
1 spotted bass

The stems that have grown wile in my tank are skinny like that, but when I first bought it the stems where twice as thick.

The stems that have grown wile in my tank are skinny like that, but when I first bought it the stems where twice as thick.

Yea I got them like this they've grown a ton looking pretty green as you can tell ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421532308.737410.jpg just wondering if there still healthy

1x leopard ctenopoma
1x albino bichir
1x tiger pleco

75 gallon native tank
5 pumpkin seed sunfish
1 red crayfish
1 spotted bass

They look healthy, mine got really nice and wide(leaf tip to tip) once I added the API leaf zone.

It looks like narrow leaf anacharis to me.

So narrow leaf anacharis are supposed to look like that?

They look healthy, mine got really nice and wide(leaf tip to tip) once I added the API leaf zone. Yea I'll be trying to purchase the seachem flourish next Time I enter the LFS!

1x leopard ctenopoma
1x albino bichir
1x tiger pleco

75 gallon native tank
5 pumpkin seed sunfish
1 red crayfish
1 spotted bass

So far in my low light I have Anubias nana and congensis, two red Rubin swords, one Amazon sword, water wisteria, and Cabomba.

They all seem to do okay, I supplement with Flourish root tabs and also use three of seachems liquid fertilizers: Flourish, Excel, and Trace, though I haven't been using them regularly or on a schedule.

Unfortunately for me it's kind of trial and error with what my severum will eat and ignore, so far he loves the red rubins and has left pretty much everything else alone. If you don't have a fish that will be munching on your plants I'd recommend the red rubins.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

So far in my low light I have Anubias nana and congensis, two red Rubin swords, one Amazon sword, water wisteria, and Cabomba.

They all seem to do okay, I supplement with Flourish root tabs and also use three of seachems liquid fertilizers: Flourish, Excel, and Trace, though I haven't been using them regularly or on a schedule.

Unfortunately for me it's kind of trial and error with what my severum will eat and ignore, so far he loves the red rubins and has left pretty much everything else alone. If you don't have a fish that will be munching on your plants I'd recommend the red rubins.

No I think my fish will leave all plants alone. The pleco should too right?

1x leopard ctenopoma
1x albino bichir
1x tiger pleco

75 gallon native tank
5 pumpkin seed sunfish
1 red crayfish
1 spotted bass

No I think my fish will leave all plants alone. The pleco should too right?

1x leopard ctenopoma
1x albino bichir
1x tiger pleco

75 gallon native tank
5 pumpkin seed sunfish
1 red crayfish
1 spotted bass

Hmmm. I've heard that tiger plecos will devour most plants or uproot them. But, severums are supposed to devour most plants as well and he only seems intent on destroying the red rubins, so it's pretty much a guessing game.

Back
Top Bottom