Planting Eating Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Koopa_34

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 120gal planted tank. In my tank i have rainbows, flying foxes, ottos, some tetras, pleco, german blue rams, swordfish, bolivian rams, boeotia loach, clown loach, queen loach, angelicas loach, cory cats, raphael cat fish, blue lobster, gouramis, chineses algae eater, and SAE. Which of these fish could be putting hole and taking chunks out of the leaves of my plants.

let see...

flying foxes
botia loach
clown loach
queen loach
ngelicus loach
raphael ca
BLUE LOBSTER
CAE and
SAE

any of the above could be the culprit. i'd look to the blue lobster first tho.

i have lemon and black phantom tetars. is there a site that i can go to that will give me a list of his that are herbivores.

I have read lemon tetra will nibble on soft leaved plants.

what types of plants are affected?

Depends on what plants are effected. Ottos and Plecos can suck holes in swords and crypts. SAEs will eat fine-leaf plants like Rotala Wallichii and Mayaca. Clowns, when they get larger, tend to be very clumbsy and will uproot and break plants frequently...

i have melon swords, bronze width, and amazon sword plants and dwarf grass. The Amazon sword plant is the plant that is mostly effected. I never see my pleco on the plants and i mostly see my otto's on the side of the tanks and the plants are to high for the blue lobster to reach the top of the plants. What are plants lacking when the leaves start to turn brown.

Koopa_34 said:
i have melon swords, bronze width, and amazon sword plants and dwarf grass. The Amazon sword plant is the plant that is mostly effected. I never see my pleco on the plants and i mostly see my otto's on the side of the tanks and the plants are to high for the blue lobster to reach the top of the plants. What are plants lacking when the leaves start to turn brown.
might be potassium and/or iron...

how much light do you have? Watts and type of bulb

CO2?

Dosing ferts?

i have 4X65watt with 6700k bulbs and a 40 watt light strip with an 18000k bulb. My CO2 is at 30ppm. Im dosing with Nitrogen, Potassium, Phosphate, and Tropica Plant Nutrition. My nitrate levels are at 20ppm and my phospate levels are at 2.0ppm.

With your current lighting I suspect that some of the Swords aren't getting enough light, which would explain the browning leaves. This would be especially true if it becomes more apparent the longer it's been since you've replaced the bulbs.

Purrbox. that is the same lighting I have on mine. Limnophila Aromatica and Alt. Reinekki are both growing (healthy).. I don't think the lights an issue..

The loaches can punch holes in leaves, But I would say the lobster is the culprit.. a guy I worked with had one that destroyed any plant he put in there..

Ah, you're right. I miscalculated. I saw 2x65 watts instead of the 4x65 watts. Lighting shouldn't be an issue.

Back
Top Bottom