Plants for cichlids ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Morgansfish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Does anyone know what the best most hearty plants are to go with cichlids I heard they were harder on plants ?

It really depends of the types of cichlids but I know allot of people have had good luck with Java Fern, Java moss, vallisneria and Anubis.

If this helps. I had java fern and 80+ Anubias in my 75g. Once they started to mature my plants became a toy and they eventually tore them up pretty bad. I lost a lot of money, it made a mess in the tank and I just ended up taking them all out and a lot of them were glued to DW and rocks.

I think I have some pics in my album. It looked really nice and the plants were doing very well until... Well until they discovered them.

Thanks y'all! I'd love live plants I'll try a few that we're suggested but I did hear they can get torn up and be toys" lol little stinkers :) if they do destroy the few I guess I'll end up a fake ones in the end!

It completely depends on what type of cichlids you have. They are a very large and varied group.

^^^ that's what I am hearing and seeing !they ate such awesome little fish :) thank you for your input !

A lot of SAs are fine with plants (apistos, angels, rams, festivums, nannacara, etc) and African riverine (kribs, buffalo heads, etc.) as well.

Know any breeds that are good w plants?

Just a quick note, cichlidae is a family, so there are hundreds of genuses, with countless species within those genuses spread over 4 continents, and there are even more subspecies and locales within each of species! I see the word "breed" thrown around a lot, and that's a rather irrelevant term in the world of cichlids. Just want to clarify that a little bit, not trying to be rude or mean :)

As for the question, I wouldn't put any plants in with your cichlids, africans do in fact tend to be harder on plants. Also, I'd be a little more focused on getting them a larger tank than investing in plants, as a 30 gallon is not large enough for many commonly kept africans, and especially not large enough for a large and aggressive fish like the tilapia buttikoferi

Freakgecko91 said:
Just a quick note, cichlidae is a family, so there are hundreds of genuses, with countless species within those genuses spread over 4 continents, and there are even more subspecies and locales within each of species! I see the word "breed" thrown around a lot, and that's a rather irrelevant term in the world of cichlids. Just want to clarify that a little bit, not trying to be rude or mean :)

As for the question, I wouldn't put any plants in with your cichlids, africans do in fact tend to be harder on plants. Also, I'd be a little more focused on getting them a larger tank than investing in plants, as a 30 gallon is not large enough for many commonly kept africans, and especially not large enough for a large and aggressive fish like the tilapia buttikoferi

Yeah I had no idea what we were getting ! They were on fb locally and didn't look quite so big nor did the people know anything so all my research has been after the fact:/ and I see just how many different kinds they are I could never imagine ! I am selling the tilapia butt-something :) he's really kinda scary and I may sell the albino male in keeping the orange female so far but idk yet shes pretty big already to and id like a "fresh" baby tank and watch them grow... And these two have been some serious fish for my first tank :/

To be honest, you'd probably be better off to get rid of all three and start new, research and find the fish that you want! The neolamprologus multifasciatus I mentioned in one of your other threads would do great in a 30 gallon, you could actually do a colony of say 15-20 of them and they breed quite readily. The live, guard, and breed in shells :) They are a bit timid at first, but their behavior is extraordinary to watch! I have three females with fry right now and it's absolutely fascinating! They may be the smallest known species of cichlid, but they have all the personality and fight of their larger cousins lol

Freakgecko91 said:
To be honest, you'd probably be better off to get rid of all three and start new, research and find the fish that you want! The neolamprologus multifasciatus I mentioned in one of your other threads would do great in a 30 gallon, you could actually do a colony of say 15-20 of them and they breed quite readily. The live, guard, and breed in shells :) They are a bit timid at first, but their behavior is extraordinary to watch! I have three females with fry right now and it's absolutely fascinating! They may be the smallest known species of cichlid, but they have all the personality and fight of their larger cousins lol

Thanx ! Yeah I'm starting fresh I realized after I started researching that my "big guys" I had acquired were not meant for me they both have homes now <3 I have the pleco. And an orange African in my 30 gal for now.

Back
Top Bottom