plants for nitrites

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ramonbetz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
id like to have plants to control my nitrites but my fish keep eating it was wondering iwhat plants i can stick in my hob filter to help keep nitrites down

id like to have plants to control my nitrites but my fish keep eating it was wondering iwhat plants i can stick in my hob filter to help keep nitrites down

Nitrites are converted by bacteria into nitrates- it's these nitrates that the plants use. Plants won't thrive in your filter, but you could get some duckweed for your tank- it spreads quickly so there will be enough to soak up some nitrates as well as feed the fish.

If its actually the nitrites that are high, you just have to keep doing water changes to keep it at a safe level (preferably zero).

Make sure you aren't destroying your bacteria by over cleaning your filter or cleaning it with untreated tap water.

Nitrites are converted by bacteria into nitrates- it's these nitrates that the plants use. Plants won't thrive in your filter, but you could get some duckweed for your tank- it spreads quickly so there will be enough to soak up some nitrates as well as feed the fish.

If its actually the nitrites that are high, you just have to keep doing water changes to keep it at a safe level (preferably zero).

Make sure you aren't destroying your bacteria by over cleaning your filter or cleaning it with untreated tap water.

(y)(y) Spot on!!

How long has the tank been set up and is it still cycling? You shouldn't have nitrites unless the tank is cycling. If you are cycling the tank and have fish you need to keep doing WC's anytime the nitrites get to .25 or above. Nitrites can poison fish quickly.

Now did you mean to type nitrates? If you have high nitrates what are the readings? What is you WC schedule and how much do you change out weekly. What type of filter? What is the size of the tank and what kind of fish do you have? Also what type lighting and bulbs do you have as that determines what kind of plants you can use. Also depending on the type fish you have you may or may not have alot of options if any for plants.

I agree. A cycled filter is the only answer for nitrites (with water changes in the interim), and water changes/proper stocking are the best approach to nitrates. If you're in a place that has significant nitrates in your tap, you should look into floating plants (duckweed, frogbit, water lettuce, etc).

Patience

Patience I had a 0 amonnia 0 nitrite and 30 ppm test and I thought wee time for the fun part but I re-dosed to 2ppm nitrites sat around for a while not ready yet. My sponges are sopped with ammonia hungry just need to wait so we can process the nitrites why stress a fish if you can avoid it ! Fishless cycle if far more humain...

Remember don't over react ! Now if your teen daughter is dating... I digress lol

Back
Top Bottom