Plants??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Crypts maybe? They are very easy light wise, they would just need the root tabs. Also maybe anarchist, guppy grass, java moss, or Anubias

Is java moss good? And which do u think looks better?

I love my Crypts ! There are many varieties. I'm in an Aquatic Plant Club so most of my plants have been free.
My past plant list in low light tanks

Plants

Crypt Nurii Pahang mutated
C. Wendti
C. pontederiifolia
C. Balansae
C. Parva
C. lucens

Dwarf chain sword
Ludwigia repens
Myriophyllium mattagrossense
Bacopa monnieri
Dwarf tiger lotus lily
Lots of different mosses
Java Fern (reg, trident, and narrow leaf)
Anubias
Amazon Sword
Lindernia rotundifolia
Duckweed ( a pain...overtakes tank)
Amazon Frogbit

I find Java Fern is one of my favs. I have 4 varieties.

Java Moss can look messy if it's not trimmed, but it will grow under almost any light.

My Ludwigia has been easy as well.

I have other plants, but these are some I had made into a list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's like a forest! Haha it's nice, I like java fern aswell cuz people say you can make more off of one plant and I've herd that for amazon sword as well, I will look up the crypts

Last edited by a moderator:
It's like a forest! Haha it's nice, I like java fern aswell cuz people say you can make more off of one plant and I've herd that for amazon sword as well, I will look up the crypts

You can get good plants from other hobbyists on here and on The Planted Tank ( free to join).

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks but what about in petsmart/ Petco? I have those near me so I would like to know which plants are best

Thanks but what about in petsmart/ Petco? I have those near me so I would like to know which plants are best

Like I said.

Java Ferns

Crypts if you are willing to add root tabs

Anubias

Java Moss

Moss Balls

Pet stores should have these. Look for packaged ones to avoid snails.

No Mondo Grass ! Not aquatic.

The idea of amazon sword in a 3 gallon is awesome- these plants gets huge. Crypts and more java variants are a great idea for this tank.

Thank! But if they get big I plan on putting them in my 10 gallon, but I wanna be able to grow more (make babies)

Small Swords etc.

Tony.
There are some sword plants that stay small. It's kind of hard to find which ones on a lot of sites. One I found that is ideal for small tanks is Echinodorus Vesuvius. I have one now and it only got about 10" tall but is a perfectly formed little sword. Also I had a Red Flame sword that stayed small after I trimmed off the longer leaves after several times.
Also the Crypt wendii can be kept small and looks good. Some of the bronze colored Crypts stay smaller too. Here's a pic of the Vesuvius sword. It's the one in the back. OS.

Attachments

• DSCF1197.jpg
    DSCF1197.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 81
Even a 10 gallons is very small for a standard amazon sword. If babies is what you are concerned with- you will enjoy seeing the baby plants forming on the leaves of java fern. I don't see you enjoying the amazon sword all that much and once it's leaves spread you may have trouble growing anything in the shade of its massive leaves.

Good info Scales. Crypt parva is a great small species and I think undulata is also smaller and similar looking to wendtii.

Thanks scales and Tparketing! Yea I wanna be able to grow the plants, and for the swords I wanna be able to make more out of the one I have and just grow them so that then maybe I could put them in my 10 g and also the java fern, I have to buy the root tabs but I haven't had time to go to the store, I add co2 booster to the water, also if the leaf zone good for it as well? Because I wanna grow them, make more, and make them really nice. I am not sure if I should buy a different plant, but if I do I want it to be easy to grow and be able to make more out of it. The 3 g is a marineland crescent 3, it has led lights and I give it 12 hours of light each day. If anyone can help I would appreciate it!

There ARE swords that are smaller. It just takes some research finding them and aren't that common in the "generic" fish stores. On line ordering is the way to go on them. Aqua bid, Extraplant, Plantedaquaruimscentral are a few to check out. OS.

I want the regular swords if they grow tall I will put them in my 10 g and if they get bigger I can trim them?

Back
Top Bottom