Plants??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey my water got a bit yellow/greenish when I added both API leaf zone, and API root tabs

Yea I dug it pretty deep, I'll check again tomorrow, but it was really noticeable when I woke up and now it kinda cleared up but it's still there

Hey guys! I'm starting to get algae in my 3 gallon planted betta tank, and I only have one shrimp as well, any suggestions to get rid/control the algae? Thanks!

Hey guys! I'm starting to get algae in my 3 gallon planted betta tank, and I only have one shrimp as well, any suggestions to get rid/control the algae? Thanks!

Put light on a timer. No more than 6 hours a day. Keep up water changes.
Don't overfeed. If you have plants in the tank, make sure to use proper ferts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And how do I do a proper water change with live plants?

I use a small tube or gravel vac for my little tanks. No vacuuming, but I do hover above the substrate and make gentle circles to waft debris up.

Dang, thanks for helping me! You truly have giving me a lot of information about planted tanks

Dang, thanks for helping me! You truly have giving me a lot of information about planted tanks

Hi...you may have learned all that your need to learn on this thread, but I thought I'd throw some more info at you because I am new to plants also. There are a few things that I noticed were not mentioned so I'll try to help with that. Java fern is slow growing. You can cut the rhizome when it grows and gets new leaves. Just cut off a few leaves and tie it to a rock or wood. Java also gets black "dots" or "spots" on the back of the leaves. I think they are correctly called spores but that may be wrong. New tiny plantlets will start growing from these dark round evenly spaced dots. They will form roots and when they get big enough they will eventually be set free. I have one java fern with the plantlets but none have grown large enough to be released. Like I said, they are slow growers. I just ordered a type of small sword but I have no experience with them yet. I do know that most varieties get way too big for a 3 gallon or a 10 gallon, and I think the runners is the best way to propagate them. Jungle Vals do get tall, but can be trimmed to the top of the water line in your tank and they send off runners pretty quickly and look nice in the background of the tanks. The stems plants are great for low light tanks and mine grow fairly quickly. When they reach the waterline pinch them back a few inches and simple push the pinched piece into the substrate to start a new plant. Bacopa, moneywort and ludwigia are good choices. I put some ludwigia in a 5 gallon last week and it has already grown a couple of inches. Most of these will get two new stems at the pinched point and they will get bushier. They will also send new shoots from the stem end which you could trim or pinch off and plant. Dwarf Hairgrass is also a a nice vertical plant and if you buy one pot you can probably divide it into 2 or 3 plants. Java moss is good if you are ever going to add shrimp. It looks best when tied to a rock. You can order a hunk of it and divide it as you wish. I think it's very pretty in small tanks.

Now on to obtaining your plants and ferts and root tabs. Ebay is a great source for the DIY root tabs. They are clear gel capsules just like medicine comes in and they are filled with Osmocote fertilizer. Way cheaper than the ones you buy from API for example. I also get a lot of my plants and ferts from ebay and Amazon.com. I tried going without any fertilizer for a while and the plants started looking sad. The Java really needs the liquid and the planted plants (especially crypts) need root tabs. I wouldn't skip either of those. I use the API Leaf Zone and in the small tank it takes very little and will last a long time. I dose weekly with my PWC's.

About the Co2. I have read that it can be dangerous to your fish and with just the two plants in the tank it's not really necessary. But if you like it and it works for you go for it! I have heavily planted, 5, 4 and 2 gallon tanks and have never used it in any tank. The plants don't seem to need it.

I am by no means and expert on plants as I've only had them for a few months. I can tell you that none of mine have really grown enough to divide or take cuttings...except for the stem and bunch plants! I have gotten many new stems from about 10 original plants and have spread them into every tank. Anacharis is a bunch plant that grows very quickly and you can cut it back and make whole new bunches about every week. It is not planted but can be bunched together with weights or something so that it will sink to the bottom. I had 6, 7-8" stems of this in February and now have about 30 and have actually thrown some of the cuttings away. Google the plants to get some really great info and pictures. That's what I do.

I hope my info was helpful to you and GOOD LUCK with your plants! (y)

Thank you Kim! Yes it was really helpful ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396991313.336028.jpg this is my setup right now, and I was wondering if it would be good to add dwarf hairgrass

Okay thanks coursair, I was told a desktop lamp with a full spectrum cfl bulb would work

Okay thanks coursair, I was told a desktop lamp with a full spectrum cfl bulb would work

It would be better than what you have. I'd read up on DHG. It is one of the harder plants to get right. It may live. But to get a true carpet isn't easy and often needs careful trimming.

I am trying some dwarf hairgrass right now for the first time. It's in a new tank that I have upgraded the lighting on but I'm still not sure if it will be enough. I'm trying to learn about the LED lights for nano tanks that will grow plants the best. (If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know!) I have some low light plants doing very well in the Fluval Spec 2 with the original lighting. I just ordered and FugeRay Planted+ for my Fluval Spec V so that I can do a few higher light plants and get better growth on the plant I already have. Your desktop lamp with a full spectrum idea is good though.

It would be better than what you have. I'd read up on DHG. It is one of the harder plants to get right. It may live. But to get a true carpet isn't easy and often needs careful trimming.

Hi Coursair, I didn't think DHG was that difficult. I don't want a carpet. I like the look of the spiky clump. I am working with a division from another person. Just planted last Friday so no clue how it's gonna do yet. Not sure of the lighting on the tank as far as PAR or anything like that. It just doubled the fixtures on the tank. Like I said I am still researching the nano plant lights. So confusing. :banghead:

Back
Top Bottom