Plants??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
CO2 will help almost any plant grow. The Carbon (C) gets removed from the oxygen (O2) and is used to form new cells. Anubias does ok without it being used though as it will mix into your water from the air in lower quantities. Carbon becomes more essential once your light levels are higher and you get more daily growth from plants If you wanted a cheaper method than CO2 booster you could try a DIY CO2 reactor. You can make one like this.

Take a cleaned 2 litre bottle with a lid you can drill a small hole in.
buy an airstone and some tubing long enough to run from the lid of the bottle to where you want the airstone in your tank.
Drill a small hole in the lid that is a little bit thinner than the tube. Then cut the tube at an angle and force it into the lid. You should only leave 1-2cm of tube inside the lid. I usually hot glue the tubing into the lid to ensure my seal is strong but the small hole in the lid should do the trick. Attach the airstone to the opposite end away from lid.
To mix the formula to make CO2 you need sugar (Any type), bread yeast (under $2 at supermarkets near me) and lukewarm water.
Add 2 cups sugar, then fill the bottle 2/4 full with lukewarm water. Shake until the sugar is dissolved, the add in 1/4 teaspoon of bread yeast. Shake again and put the lid on. Then wait. The reaction takes a while to start as all the oxygen in the bottle needs to be used first but eventually you will see CO2 bubbles coming from the airstone in your tank.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396321273.994898.jpg this is the tetra LED 16 bulb light, it came with my marine land crescent 3 tank, is it good so that I can grow my plants in there?? I have amazon sword leaf and java fern

Your light is low light. It should grow hardy low light plants.

API Leaf Zone is fine. I use it and Seachem Flourish Comprehensive liquid ferts. I add my Ferts and Carbon source 1x weekly after my PWC. I'm using Seachem Excel for Carbon. You can add Carbon more often. Just read directions.

Your tank is tiny and the light isn't strong, but you can still have fun with it and grow some plants. I have plants in every tank, even my 1.5g.

Lights may look bright to us, but PAR is the measure of how much light actually reaches the bottom of the tank. My club has a PAR meter that we loan out to club members to check their lighting. It's pretty interesting.

My 10g with two screw in 10 watt CFLs ( horizontal placement ) was almost the exact same PAR as my rimless 10g with the very expensive Archaea LED fixture.
9e7u9u9e.jpg

I bought it for looks, and it grows plants so I'm happy.
ynuqa7em.jpg

Some plant specific LEDs are pretty powerful. But they cost more :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay well I have java fern and amazon sword, do I really need root tabs for the amazons? Or just leaf zone? Cuz I already use co2 booster

Okay well I have java fern and amazon sword, do I really need root tabs for the amazons? Or just leaf zone? Cuz I already use co2 booster

Yes , you need Root Tabs for Amazon Swords. They are heavy root feeders.
Since you want them to propagate use correct ferts for best results.
We know you are using a liquid Carbon booster. That's not the same thing.

You can make or buy DIY Root Tabs. I bought mine via The Planted Tank sales forum. Sometimes they are sold on here. Or buy from a Fert specialty store. Cheaper than a petstore usually.

So is the co2 booster no use? I thought it was, and I also have the java fern

Nice!! But will I have to buy both leaf zone and root tabs?

Okay, and will I have to buy both the leaf zone and root tabs?

Nice!! But will I have to buy both leaf zone and root tabs?

The Root Tabs are for the Sword.
The Leaf Zone will help your Fern grow, it gets it's food from the water since it doesn't liked to be planted.

If you only buy one Fert ? Get the Root Tabs. But the liquid ferts will help your other plants, I'm sure you'll end up with more.

In such a tiny tank, you won't use much, so a bottle of Leaf Zone should last you a while.

And a healthy Amazon Sword needs about a 100g tank. They get really big. I had some in a 5.5g. Poor lighting and trimming kept them smallish.

Okay thank you! I will get root tabs and if I get more java fern from my java fern plant I will get the leaf zone

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396380753.297004.jpg I barely saw this today!! Seems like it's a baby leaf growing from my amazon sword

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396475010.860631.jpg update, I saw growth yesterday and today it's getting bigger also saw a new leaf as well! I'm pretty excited

Back
Top Bottom