Platy cant move, help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yeah that truly looks like an insane tank, but how do u clean all the waist out of that tank? or is it even necesary?

See I know that it isn't as necessary to clean the same way I do, and for me that is part of the hurdle. They look beautiful but I am so used to gravel vacs and can't imagine what happens to all the crud that I vaccum up. I have a good idea, just haven't been able to wrap my mind around it yet.

Actually, I'm not sure how they do it either, or if you really need to. It's a beautiful tank for sure. Other than an occasional gravel vac in between some of the plants, etc, not sure exactly how you'd do it. :)

so what kits exactly do i need to buy. as ive said before. i have nothing else other than a Thermometer right now LOL.

That AP kit in my earlier post is a great deal and a fantastic kit. It has ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph which are the most important ones in most freshwater tanks.

and how long will that test kit last? and apart from testing i suppose it doesnt have anything to treat the water does it?

If unused, will usually be good for 2 years or so from what I read on test kits. And nothing for treating water, just testing for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph, and high ph. Very good test kit.

Also, for the ph and high ph, use just the ph one. And if it's reading is pegged to the upper limit, then you will need to use the high ph test instead. Just in case you are wondering why there's 2 ph tests.

i see, it sounds great. how often to u need to test levels, or how often SHOULD u test. and lets say u do these tests and the levels arent correct. can teh be fixed with a partial water change or do i need to also buy other water treatements?

On a new tank, I'd do it at least every other day. But on an established tank, like my 26G, I check it weekly, sometimes twice a week.

Also for those who are newer to having fish tanks, more often as well. And those with more experience, they will test less often, as they know their tanks well and are on top of proper maintenance, etc.

My 26G, I do weekly, but my 55G I do every other day or so, as it's a freshly cycled tank. But after 6 months or so, will go to the weekly schedule.

Quite a while, actually. I've had my AP kit now for 5 months, and the bottles still feel over half full. And that's having 2 tanks now. When testing in the test tubes, you are only putting a few drops in. So it will last quite a while.

hi again...

But if you get one, which you should, make sure to follow the instructions. It's fairly simple, and straight-forward. :)

sounds sweet, so as ive asked u before, lets say one of the tests turns out bad or inappropriate, by doing a partial water change, will that solve the rpoblem or do i need to get water treatements?

And regular PWC's will keep the levels below your maximum allowed levels. I use 20ppm nitrates as mine, and some use up to 40 as theirs. I like bringing mine below 10ppm, then in a week, when the levels are near 20, I do a PWC. I do 50%-75% weekly, and keep my nitrates very low. Others will give a little more cushion, which is ok, but for me, I don't mind the pwc's and enjoy working on my tanks. :)

Back
Top Bottom