Platy completely stressed out, not looking okay!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

B3TT45

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I added a new male swordtail into my 10 gallon tank, only previously habited by my male platy and Oto. The days after I added him, both my platy and the swordtail kept having horrible fights, I can't exactly separate them so I just hoped for the fights to stop. It has calmed down relatively now but my poor platy is slow, lethargic, and hiding in the corners of the tank. I even think he has lost some coloration. I don't see them fight anymore but now the swordtail has taken possession of the entire tank and my platy is now so stressed he doesn't even get his food as quickly as he used to. He's my longest lived fish in this tank (over a year old) and I don't want to lose him, it's been a week already, what do I do??? His belly has even begun to sink in :(

tank parameters: ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 5-10 ppm
Ph: 7.4-7.6

10 gal tank, running for a bit over a year.

Aquaclear filter (idk number or gph)

As of now, only three fish are in my tank

Last water change was last week and I vacuum the gravel every WC

I've had the platy for a bit over a year and the swordtail is nearing 3 weeks, although I do not have a quarantine tank but he does not show sign of illness.

The only thing I've added new is the swordtail, who's a big intimidating bully

I feed them normal flakes

Last edited:
Are you willing to return the swordtail to save the platy?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It's been 3 weeks, I don't think I even can /:

I'm going to make some makeshift dividers meanwhile to separate them and nurse my platy back to health. Is this a good course of action? What should I do once dividing them? What else can I do, I don't have another tank! :(

Back
Top Bottom