Platy having babies!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

momo3681

Aquarium Advice Regular
WHere can I put them? I didn't buy a breeding thing? HEEEELPP!!!

just let them swim around the aquarium for a little while, by tomorrow morning you won't have any fry to worry about

momo3681 said:
WHere can I put them? I didn't buy a breeding thing? HEEEELPP!!!

Do you WANT to save them?

Get a tupperware, make a a sponge filter out of a sponge that's already in another tank with an airline going through it. Put babies in the tupperware and keep in a warm place. In the meantime go get a net or breeder box, or another tank. I keep my fry in a big rubbermaid container with a heater and a sponge filter until they are big enough to be reintroduced, or if I want to keep them with the parents I put them in a breedet box until they gain a little strength to escape!

Unless you have hiding places, your fry may be eaten. But dont worry, she will probably drop more next month!

Oh and if I'm really in a pinch, I get a really big fish net and bend the handle over so that it can sit in the tank water column but not fall out of the tank. I put the fry in there to keep them safe until I think of a better idea ;)

Reactions: HN1
ridewithme38 said:
just let them swim around the aquarium for a little while, by tomorrow morning you won't have any fry to worry about

That is not what I want to happen. If I wanted that to happen I wouldn't be asking this question, now would I?

That is not what I want to happen. If I wanted that to happen I wouldn't be asking this question, now would I?
It seems to be a common thing, which is probably why it was mentioned. I've seen time and time again where people think they have to get a breeder net or something, then someone suggests leaving them be and they realize that isn't such a bad idea. Now that you've expressed interest in saving them, it shouldn't be suggested again.

Oh and if I'm really in a pinch, I get a really big fish net and bend the handle over so that it can sit in the tank water column but not fall out of the tank. I put the fry in there to keep them safe until I think of a better idea ;)

This is a good idea. I used a net and left it in the tank until I bought a breeder net a few years go when my Guppy had babies.

redsea said:
This is a good idea. I used a net and left it in the tank until I bought a breeder net a few years go when my Guppy had babies.

Thank you! I got the idea from another forum a while ago. I couldn't believe how simple and genius it was. Why didn't I think of that before?! ;)

Back
Top Bottom