Platy "weaving", Neon w/ whiteish patch & water parameters help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

territerri

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Whiteish patch on Neon Tetra & need water parameters help.

(25G tank contents in my signature. Add to that a recently-discovered bunch of tiny snail hitchhikers)

One Neon Tetra has had a beige/white patch on its side which has neither increased nor decreased in size. Has been going on for two weeks. Swimming, shoaling, eating normally. I know this is not ich as the other fish would have been affected by now, and this Tetra would have died long ago. The patch doesn't seem to be going away, though.

My water parameters today:

• temp = 80.5 F
  • pH >= 7.6
  • ammonia = 0-0.25 ppm
  • nitrite = 0 ppm
  • nitrate = 40-80 ppm

Last PWC (partial water change) was done 10 days ago.

This tank was started 4 weeks ago using water from a previous 10G tank and "new" water, i.e. the equivalent to a 60% PWC.

1. What could be wrong with the Neon Tetra?
  2. I will do a 50% PWC today. When would be a safe time to do the next PWC, and what % of the tank water should be replaced?

Attachments

• 20121113_214153.jpg
    20121113_214153.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Was finally able to get a pic of the Neon Tetra. The Platy seems fine today so please disregard that part.

Hi,

Sorry about your troubles!
You can safely do water changes every day if needed. 25-60% for sure.
In this case, your nitrates are higher than ideal.

Did you cycle this tank? Is some old water the only old stuff brought into it, or did you use live filter media too?

Thanks so much for the reply!

I did not cycle the tank. I did use the same filter media and the old water when transferring to the larger tank, since the filter was also suitable for 25G.

territerri said:
Thanks so much for the reply!

I did not cycle the tank. I did use the same filter media and the old water when transferring to the larger tank, since the filter was also suitable for 25G.

Gotcha. You're welcome! It looks like you jump-started the cycling effectively because you have low ammonia and nitrite.
Nitrates are handled by partial water changes...
Ammonia (waste such as poop) feeds bacteria that break it down, giving you nitrites. A second bacteria breaks down nitrites, giving you nitrates. Ammonia is most toxic, nitrites middle, nitrates least. Nitrates feed live plants - if you have them. Whatever remains needs to be removed via the pwcs.
Your goal is 0 for all 3 toxins. If you have live plants, 20-40 ppm nitrates is ok.
Toxins weaken the immune system, and may be causing the infection you see to flare up.

I'll be sure to not overfeed (that might have been part of the problem) and do more frequent PWCs. Hopefully the flare up on the neon will subside after a while.

Back
Top Bottom