please advise...artificial plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ginty

Aquarium Advice Freak
hi guys. this is my frist tank.
i added all artificial plants. i clean the every two weeks in the syphoned water. i noticed today when i was doing my water change that my artificial plants have brown marks on them. is this because i need new ones? ive only had them 6wks. the only way i can explain iy is if i left something metal in water and it goes slightly rusty. I brought these from a proper pet store. is this notmal for artificial plants to do this? what should i do?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Nope that's just some good tank stuff or benificial bacteria growing, I'd leave it unless you can't stand the sight..

You can take one out and see if it comes off by rubbing with your finger/scrubbing with a toothbrush (VERY VERY clean or new toothbrush!) I get the brown gunk on my leaves and it just rubs off. Plastic plants should last you for several years unless they are really junky.

ok. thanks guys. ill leave there as my tank should br coming to the end of the cycle now.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Probably just diatoms. Very normal in a new setup. When artificial plants get really gunky with algae and if scrubbing is just not cutting it, bleach or hydrogen peroxide can remove it. Just rinse very well after treatment.

Probably just diatoms. Very normal in a new setup. When artificial plants get really gunky with algae and if scrubbing is just not cutting it, bleach or hydrogen peroxide can remove it. Just rinse very well after treatment.

I had the same problem, and this is exactly what what I was told at my LFS. I'm pretty new at this too, but I was told it's pretty harmless. You can just rinse it off, and avoid overfeeding in the future.

Back
Top Bottom