Please advise! Starting new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yearofthefish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm starting a new tank, first one in a couple years. I am looking for advise on my stocking levels. The tank is cycled and I will be adding 4 Julii Cory's tonight.

It is a Mr.Aqua 12 gallon, please research the dimensions before telling me it's too small for my chosen fish. I checked aqadvisor for my stocking list and it says I will be 80 percent stocked. The complete stock list is: 4 julii Cory's, 2 keyhole cichlids, and 2 porthole catfish.

I just wanted to check in with you all and see if these fish are compatible. As well as your opinion on the stocking levels and experience with the chosen fish. Thanks everyone!

Last edited by a moderator:
Imho, with 2 keyhole cichlids and the 2 porthole catfish you would be quite a bit overstocked. Ignoring the fact that the tank is only 8" wide, 12 gallons simply isnt enough water volume for those chosen fish.

Maybe 2 male fancy guppies and a few neon tetras?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I can't believe aquadvisor says 80%. Just the waste from the keyholes will be a nitrate nightmare.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Stocking

I've read, no cichlids unless your tank holds 50 gallons or more. It's a small tank. The 3 cats are plenty already. How about the 2 fancy guppies and maybe a nice male betta. Keep it small and enjoy. Carry on.

I agree with the above posters.. i would definetly skip the cichlids in that size tank my cichlids werent very happy in a 35 gallon and they were still really small like under 3 inches small...

Some of my favourite fish in my freshwater tanks are my pretty guppys they r so flashy :) either way i hope you enjoy your new tank

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

?Please advise!? Starting new tank

Could do sparkling gorumais, lampeyes,flame tetras, guppies, a dwarf groumai,

Thanks for all your replies

Not sure why aqadvisor gave me those numbers. It's showing a really high stocking level for my tank. Based on my research however this tank should be okay with a higher stocking level than most small aquariums. The water depth is only 9 inches so oxygen should diffuse into the water fairly easy. The tank also had almost three feet off horizontal swimming space. Anyways I have removed the portholes and key holes from the stocking list. Currently the tank has 3 false Julii Corydoras and 7 neon tetras. Even aqadvisor is saying I'm only 45 percent stocked. Any suggestions for other fish? Or updated stocking numbers? Or info/opinions on aqadvisors recommendation. I am trying to make the tank into a Rio Ampiyacu biotope so any advise or suggestions for that would be helpful too! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom