Please help, I think my Platy is sick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Deadcell34

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I just got in from work and discovered my mickey platy has 3 bulbous white spots on his belly area. I have no idea what it is, I haven't even read about anything of this nature.

If anyone has any ideas as to what this is, please let me know. I don't want the little guy to die, or possibly even lose my entire tank. I've searched all over the web and can't find any disease that matches this. I posted pics below. Please, help me. Thanks.

img_2702199_0_110f76b2b420f88a112e793d022a0fc2.jpg

img_2702199_1_9df2d2583af8773ab2cfdb8643933d9c.jpg

img_2702199_2_755f924f46c7db39ac0b2b218f1c4350.jpg

Looks like fungus coming out of his anas, you should treat with an anti fungal, protozin is one you could use, do you know the parameters of the tank? If not, i would start by doing a water change of 40% then get the medication tomorrow and do another 30% before you add any.

Last edited:
The tank is cycling like normal, I just did a 50% water change last week. The PH is high, but its always been that way. I've tried using PH Down on multiple occasions to no avail.
I can tell this is really bothering the little guy. He's having trouble swimming and wants to stay hidden.

Oh, one more question. If I add the antifungal meds, would this affect my live moss ball in any way, or kill off all the stuff my clown pleco eats?

Total noobie question but I wanted to check beforehand. If I need to, I can take the moss ball out, and feed the pleco algae pellets.

Lastweek? If your tank is cycling You should be doing 50% every other day minimum. Do you have a testing kit, what are the parameters of the tank if so? Fungus can usually be prevented by clean water. The med i mentioned will not effect the cycle and shouldnt kill your moss ball either. The fungus is quite developed and the place where it is on the fish treatment was needed yesterday.

I also seriously suggest another 50% right now

Last edited:
Maybe I don't understand the definition of cycling. Sorry, the tank has been cycled... I've had this aquarium up and running with fish for 6 months without issues until now.

Anyway, I typically change out 20% every week, with a 50% change out monthly (when I change the filter and clean).

I did the montly maintenance last week.

And unfortunately, this happened at the worst possible time and I didn't have time to go to the pet store last night (its quite a drive and they closed around 30 minutes after you posted). I'm on a 6 day, 12 hour schedule so I won't even be back home until around 6:30. My wife is in another state, so its pretty much left up to me. But I can't take time off to do anything. However, I did a 30% water change last night.

The only bright side is there is a Petsmart on my drive home, so I intend to get the meds in the tank tonight. I already have more treated water ready to put in the tank this evening.

Maybe I don't understand the definition of cycling. Sorry, the tank has been cycled... I've had this aquarium up and running with fish for 6 months without issues until now.

Anyway, I typically change out 20% every week, with a 50% change out monthly (when I change the filter and clean).

I did the montly maintenance last week.

And unfortunately, this happened at the worst possible time and I didn't have time to go to the pet store last night (its quite a drive and they closed around 30 minutes after you posted). I'm on a 6 day, 12 hour schedule so I won't even be back home until around 6:30. My wife is in another state, so its pretty much left up to me. But I can't take time off to do anything. However, I did a 30% water change last night.

The only bright side is there is a Petsmart on my drive home, so I intend to get the meds in the tank tonight. I already have more treated water ready to put in the tank this evening.

Sounds good! Youll find something there just read the bottle, youll be able to find something that wont harm your established filter.

Sounds good! Youll find something there just read the bottle, youll be able to find something that wont harm your established filter.

Thanks for the help. I just don't want to come off as someone who doesn't care for my fish. I try to take care of them the best I know how, considering this is my first tank.

I've only lost one fish since I started (which I truly believe wasn't my fault). I had a tuxedo guppy (yep, single, Petsmart had it listed as a community fish, not a schooling fish). Anyway, he acted kinda weird from the beginning, but hearing how guppies stressed easily, so I assumed it was stress. He liked to hang out in the tank in the corner by himself all the time, til I got the platy (same guy in the pic), then they became inseperable.

However, a few months ago, the guppy just died. I checked the water and it was fine, the other fish were fine, and there weren't any markings, ich, etc on him. Idk what happened.

Thanks for the help. I just don't want to come off as someone who doesn't care for my fish. I try to take care of them the best I know how, considering this is my first tank.

I've only lost one fish since I started (which I truly believe wasn't my fault). I had a tuxedo guppy (yep, single, Petsmart had it listed as a community fish, not a schooling fish). Anyway, he acted kinda weird from the beginning, but hearing how guppies stressed easily, so I assumed it was stress. He liked to hang out in the tank in the corner by himself all the time, til I got the platy (same guy in the pic), then they became inseperable.

However, a few months ago, the guppy just died. I checked the water and it was fine, the other fish were fine, and there weren't any markings, ich, etc on him. Idk what happened.

Glad to help, you dont come across as one of those people. The fungus will disappear and he should recover quite quickly if treated, lets just hope it not too deep or too late. Best of luck Cell.

Last edited:
Update, and its not good I'm afraid. He didn't make it. And I don't think it was a fungus, what could have done this?

img_2703336_0_19fd5a06442c77138461da97bc873889.jpg

I have no idea what happened. He was fine two days ago, then yesterday he had the white bulbs, and today he looks like this. As you can see, it looks like a chunk is missing where his belly meets his tail. Could this have been cause by something like fin rot or a parasite?

Please someone, if you have any info, let me know. I'm really concerned about my other fish now.

Update: Not good

So I got in today and was going to give him some meds and I found him dead in the bottom :(

But now I'm really concerned about the well-being of my other fish. Two days ago, he was fine. Then yesterday he had the white bulbs.... and today he's dead with what appears to be a chunk out of the area where his belly meets his tail. What's going on? Could a fungus cause this? Or could it be fin rot or a parasite? I'm so confused.

img_2703426_0_19fd5a06442c77138461da97bc873889.jpg

Oh, I also want to note that I tested the water last night.

Ammonia is somewhere in the ballpark of 0.10 ppm (keep in mind, this was before I changed out more water).
Nitrates were at 0.
Nitrites were at 0.
PH was the usual 7.6.

Nitrates were at 0.. surely there must be nitrates as the conversion of nitrite is nitrate and especially as you have ammonia in the tank i would expect a nitrate reading.

.10ppm ammonia is ok but if the tank was cycled and settled it should be 0. What filter are you using?

Nitrates were at 0.. surely there must be nitrates as the conversion of nitrite is nitrate and especially as you have ammonia in the tank i would expect a nitrate reading.

.10ppm ammonia is ok but if the tank was cycled and settled it should be 0. What filter are you using?

A 10 gallon Marineland Aquaria filter. Its a 10 gallon tank. The small amount of ammonia is most likely my fault. I haven't quite found the sweet spot on how much to feed my fish yet. I feed them once a day, but I probably feed them a bit too much at once.

Back
Top Bottom