Please help. Very new

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
0.5 can be very toxic even though it seems like a small amount of ammonia, hence the recommendation for prime. And nitrites can be more toxic at 0.5.

Prime is 2 drops per gallon at normal dosing. Very economical. You can add to new water or if using a python for PWCs , you can dose whole tank.

In emergencies Prime can be dosed 5x regular dosage with safety per Seachem's website.

Sorry for the losses.

Keep the TopFin stuff, it's ok. You can use it as back up.

Just as a update of sorts: no more losses (not that there can be many more) I did start using prime. I've been doing daily water changes though my ammonia number seems stuck where it is. I diluted some PH lowering tablets last night in a small container of the water and put it in after our water exchange. Also had put a moss ball in and was thinking about putting some moss on my driftwood.

PH

I would suggest leaving ph alone, most fish are tank raised in water about like yours.

Trying to adjust ph leads to swings in ph, which are more dangerous than just leaving it alone.

Just acclimate new fish properly to your water parameters when purchased.

Another update. Just the big common pleco and comet that got this all started left. BN Plecco probably died because of the drastic PH change that I panicked about, despite reading the articles that said not to.

Me and the wife have pretty much become obsessed with the water conditions. Tested our tap water and it's above .5 ppm ammonia. Which now makes me understand why we can never get it below that number. Also read about the bacteria starters which we had been using. We change about 40% of the water at least once a day.

One last question aside from the update. The comet seems to be spending 90% of his time near the top in the corner of the tank. He's not really going to the very top. He will occasionally change corners also. Not sure what to think. Water temp has remained at 70 degrees from day one.

Anyways thanks for the help. Feel bad that my fish that I "rescued" had a train wreck of a rescuer but I am truly trying my best and literally learn several new things on here everyday.

Are you using Prime? Or what are you using to dechlorinate the water?

Does your city use Chloramine to treat the tap water? Does your dechlorinator treat for Chloramine? Sometimes you must use double dose to treat for chloramines. The directions should say what it treats and how much to use.

You are doing a "fish in" cycle now.

Sorry to hear of the loss of the Pleco.

There is now hope for the fish's future. Though rocky days could still be ahead.

Glad you are learning new things. It CAN be a fun hobby!

Yes I am using Prime. No idea what the city uses in their water. We don't have our own utilities. The city I live in is technically just the south side of a bigger city.

Prime will detoxify the ammonia and make it safe, but it will still show up when you test. Don't worry about your tap water. Keep dosing with prime and doing water changes to keep ammonia below 0.5.

After you get your tank cycling your beneficial bacteria will turn the ammonia in the tap water to nitrites just like it does fish waste, but every time you change water you will have to dose with prime. Not all water conditioners will detoxify ammonia &nitrites, so be careful if you switch brands.

So... figured out why the comet is acting strange. Ich infection. He's now rubbing on rocks and the common pleco pretty obviously has white spots. Everything I read says to add aquarium salt but then says pleco do not do well with salt.

I literally cannot win with this tank.

So... figured out why the comet is acting strange. Ich infection. He's now rubbing on rocks and the common pleco pretty obviously has white spots. Everything I read says to add aquarium salt but then says pleco do not do well with salt.

I literally cannot win with this tank.

In a previous tank I had an outbreak of ich and treated it very successfully with the heat method. I had too many fish (pleco and corys) that don't do well with the medications, so I read about the heat method and tried it and it worked. It took about 7-10 days if I recall correctly.

Here is an Aquarium Advice Article. I would raise the temp slowly. Keep it at 86F for at least a week but after all sight of spots are gone wait the 7 days then reduce the temps 2 degrees per day.

Lots of extra aeration!!!!! More air pumps/stones

Also can lower tank water level so incoming water splashes too for even more aeration!

They are beautiful fish - hope this takes care of it for you!
Freshwater Ich? Yuck! - Aquarium Advice

Turn the heat up and feed them garlic. Don't introduce new fish until the tank is stable it's always a gamble anyway. Only buy fish from a reputable source. I stay out of pet stores for the most part, join your local fish club it's cheaper/better/more humane. We have an auction every month where everyone brings stuff to sell; it's great.

When I have a fish that has out grown the tank I trade him in for other fish , most store will do this (not box stores)

The heat seemed to work perfect. After the first day of getting it up to temp they were back to normal. Increased water changes and gravel cleaning.

Also a corner was turned today. Had my wife run a water test and we have nitrites and nitrates. My work day became a lot better.

I completely understand what you are saying about the box stores and what not. Unfortunately we do not have a store in the area that is open when I can get there. I just need to be more careful. If we get this tank turned and I can, I was going to introduce a fancy maybe in a couple weeks so each of my daughters have one in the 40 gallon.

My friend has an empty 30 he is giving me that I may plant and make my own over the next couple months.

Back
Top Bottom