Pleco being eaten?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

imrandome1

Aquarium Advice Freak
I got a new albino pleco yesterday and its happy but my fancy guppies pick at it as though they are trying to eat algae of the glass? Is there a reason why? and will the pleco be ok? it dont wont it 2 die from stress! It was not cheap!!!

Thanks for the help in advance!

I don't really think that guppies would bother a pleco much. Try providing a cave for the pleco to hide in.

Plecos, Liposarcus multuradiatus, have armor in addition to venomous spikes on their tail which they will use to "whip" other fish (or sometimes you! :p ). In other words, they are well protected and have some great defense mechanisms especially considering the apparent predator in this case is a guppy.

I wouldn't be worried about the pleco unless it is very very young and has not yet developed pronounced spikes on it's tail which I think might hinder it's ability to defend it's self. My pleco (about 2 years old and 5 inches long) doesn't take any agression from other fish in the tank (3 bala sharks and one betta). In fact, if they go any where near him or his food he tries to attack them. Also, plecos in general are pretty territorial. I can't imagine why your pleco would allow these guppies to 'peck' at him.

I would be interested in hearing back from you regarding this situation. Please keep us updated.

Joe

I did not now that talloulou!!! and thanks Joe for the detailed reply!!! he's about 2.5 inches long, and will to try and hide away from the other fish! they start to peck at him, but then he moves a little they then back of, but start again then he will swim away with speed!!!, Its as though they think he is a dead fish and are trying to eat him!!! Its soo strange! i had a pleco that i moved into another tank and had No problems at all!!! This is so wired!! and its only the male guppies, none of the females try it or any tetra's just the 3 male guppies?

Back
Top Bottom