PLECO HELP for a newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newfishhobbyist

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just purchased a pleco a couple of days ago- it's named flat flyer pleco L-235. I read on planet catfish that they like a meat diet. Can anyone tell me how you add meat to a pleco's diet? I purchased some sinking shrimp pellets and some freeze-dried bloodworms. Is that ok? Any advice/suggestions would be helpful.

Look into getting some frozen foods for your pleco. Some might include bloodworms, brine shrimp, krill, etc. You could also purchase live feeder ghost shrimp or feeder fish and cut them up for the pleco. I don't think they need exclusively meat, but it is certainly a necessary supplement to their diet. You could also try frozen beefheart or even using 90/10 or leaner ground beef. Mix in some cooked shrimp, veggies, and multivitamins and blend together and freeze it in a Ziploc bag so that it's relatively thin and you can break off what you need when it's feeding time.

They may not get any bloodworms if you have an active community tank. Try dropping wafers and/or pellets after lights out. You can also slice cucumber and zucchini for a nice treat.

How can I be sure he's eating? I see algae wafer left and I'm not sure if he touched it. I also saw some fish pecking at the shrimp pellets so it could have disintegrated before he touched it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom