pleco suggestion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

i may be looking for the perfect fish but suggest any fish closly fitting this discription

-eats algee( off glass, plants) (must eat brown algee)
-not too big(4-5/6 inches)(small as possible)
-not distructive (wont uproot my plants)

im obviusly looking for a plec
its a 35 g tank
planted
community
angels
gouramis(so far)

from what ive heard a rubberlip or bushy nose is best, any sugestions

thanks in advance

Clowns or pitbulls if you can find them. Apparently there are others, but they are more rare and a bit pricey. I recently spent $12 CAD for a Rubber Lip and around that much for a bristle nose.

My set-up is going to be close to yours when finished and the kind of pleco I'm going to be getting is a bushy nose. They won't bother the plants from what I've heard either.

yes, lol i know there is that exclusive "expensive" class, and as much is id love one, a zebra especially, but my pocketbook wont allow, lol, i think a bluecollar plec will do just fine

i will probably get a buushy nose...do they eat brown algee and algee off plants

wut the heck how much is 12$ cad? because here their about 3-4 dollars for rubberliopped but like 12 for bristlenose. bristlenose and bushynose is the same thing right?

my rubber always stays inbetween this rock and the driftwood it holds down. i almost never see it on the wall. anyone know why>?

To answer your questions, Krap...

$12 CAN is roughly $8.50 US.

Bristlenose and Bushynose are the same thing, but refer to about 25+ species of the genus Ancistrus. So, one person's "bushynose" with a very bushy nose and brown color could be very different from another person's bushynose with smaller bristles, white fins, and a black speckled body. See this particular species for an idea of how beautiful some bristle/bushynoses can get: http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/index.htm On here, look up "L-numbers" and L-183. If that link doesn't work out, just look up L-183, Ancistrus dolichopterus.

Oh, and most plecs are nocturnal, though the common plec, Hypostomus plecostomus and some bristlenoses will come out during the day. I find that when left alone, my Queen Arabesques (L-260), Gold Nuggets (L-18, 81, 85) and occasionally my Imperial King Tigers (L-333) will come out. But I have to be quite patient...

For mid-range prices, Clown Peckoltias, Bushynoses, Rubberlips are your best bet. These stay fairly small, and are quite good algae eaters.

I have never seen my rubberlip eat algae off of my plants but it does quite a good job on my tank glass. The first week I had the rubberlip it was trying to jump into my filter every night(maybe it thought it could go elsewhere by swimming "upstream").

My oto and SAE do quite a good job of tending to the plants.

Back
Top Bottom