Pleco ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When I got my BN as a baby, he did an AWESOME job cleaning. 3 years later.... not so much. All he does is eat food and poop. ALOT!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

When I got my BN as a baby, he did an AWESOME job cleaning. 3 years later.... not so much. All he does is eat food and poop. ALOT!!!

Yuuupppppp

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

you don't think we spoiled them do you lol

I haven't had the chance to have ottos, but every thing I have read says there awesome cleaners. We were reffering to the Rubber Lip Pleco before

Yes - I will look into rubberlip
I know where to get 1

Yah, it may be impossible actually, they're in the same boat as zebra plecos, extremely rare and extremely expensive. Maybe a rubber lip??

Found it !!!! Aquabid.com

I keep a male and female Bristlenose Ancistrus in a 55g tank with African Cichlids. I don't think they know one another even exists lol. I've had no issues.

a couple of BN males are okay together with enough hiding spots & space AND there is a female. I've got 2 BN male & 1 female in one community tank (65g) no problems, and 2 male peppermint BN (L183?) & 1 female in another on their own as a breeder tank (25g-heavy filtration) also no problems.
I may just be doubly lucky though :)

Nice. Awesome. My 40g breeder has a Fluval 406 filter. Pleco's are the only high pooper!! LOL
Otos have a reputation of not living long. I wonder if that's true for all species. Pitbull pleco (Parotocinclus) is $15-20 each. That's a lot if they are not very hardy.
Is rubberlip pleco hardy??
I've not had issues with BN

So.... Regular Otos don't clean much ??

Ime otos are ridiculous algae munching machines, i put 8 in my 30l and they had it almost spotless in 7 days. I couldn't believe it..here's a comparison pic, notice the rocks:)

Attachments

• 1410957294625.jpg
    1410957294625.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 57
OMG !!!! Sold
Otos it is
All pleco's do is poop

OMG !!!! Sold
Otos it is
All pleco's do is poop

It's pretty amazing huh?? They are fun in a group, in the morning all 8 meet up for the breakfast conference.. funny stuff.. only issue is they do have a tendency to die for no reason, I bought 8 expecting to see 4 make it to the 4 month mark, it's said that if they make it the first month they should be ok.. i have/had zebra otos in my other tank, they look awesome but not as efficient on the algae destruction, much more $$ though, started with 3, have 1 left 4 months later..

That's their reputation. Die for no reason .......

ruber lip or bulldog will do fine with bushy nose. However this doesn't go for all plecos. I had a green phantom kill my other green phantom.

There is a fishy store in Amherst. The guy is a PhD in ichthyology . I very rarely go there, he mostly has aggressive and saltwater tanks. But is very knowledgeable about fishy stuff......
He stated he has a supplier of very hardy stock of Otos and pleco's.
I've never had an issue with his stock. Just doesn't have things I want. I'm going over there to see them.
I've gotten a lot of Cory's, plants, Australian rainbows, from him and have had them for 3 years.

Lightning HIGH light for all live plants - but only on 7 hours
Yes I do use excel and flourish and iron and root tabs

Try splitting your photo period by a few hours and reduce to 6 hours, it will take time without anything else, but I had some success with a 3 hour break and 2, 3 hour sessions of lighting.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Try splitting your photo period by a few hours and reduce to 6 hours, it will take time without anything else, but I had some success with a 3 hour break and 2, 3 hour sessions of lighting.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I will. Thank you for the advice.
BBA is so hard to get rid of

What about panda garra ?

I was looking at those yesterday! Pretty cool, mouth is wild on the glass..

Back
Top Bottom