Pond in my room?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bloodlucky

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok so I'm thinking about building a pond in my room, something small for some goldfish or something. I live in an apartment with my family (I'm only 14) but I'm quite experienced in fish keeping.

So there is a small bathroom in my room with a shower I never used (and never find use for it) and we even took the shower curtain down. Now all it is is just an empty space with a short wall around to keep the water from spilling out (when it was used for a shower)

So I'm thinking about using the small shower wall as a pond and full it with water. Here's a Birdseye picture to show you what it looks like

image-3563153059.jpg

Me and my dad figured out what to do with the drain. We plan on putting a cup over it and then ceiling it with silicone.

The wall is about 6-7 inches tall and my dad estimates it holds about 15 gallons. I'm thinking about using an undergravel filter (since no other one quite fits this design) and an oxygen pump in the sides of the pond. We'd just use beneficial bacteria from one of my other fish tanks to instantly cycle the tank, then all I need are some Lilly pads and goldfish!

My parents are fine with the idea but our apartment is a rental so the only rule is that the silicone that I apply to the cup over the drain must COME OFF once we move out (which won't be for many years)

Would this potentially work? Where could I find pond decor like lilly pads? Is anyone familiar with live plants? I have a 1 gallon filtered tank that's currently unoccupied so I can practice keeping some live plants in there. What would I need?

My only concern is the fact that the wall is only 6" high. Full size, or even medium sized goldfish need a taller tank/pond then that in order to thrive.

I was just about to say the same thing. I don't see 6-7 inches being doable. Besides that, 15 gallons isn't enough for even one goldfish...

I was afraid of that. How would you suppose I'd raise the wall? Alternative fish?

I'm not sure I'd go through with it anyways... How WOULD you raise the wall? That's a good question Idk its definitely nothing I've ever heard of.

Any way you could silicone sheets of glass up next to the wall in order to keep the water from overflowing??

Maybe you're right. Seemed like a good idea though. Maybe minnows? I don't know

Actually my dad thought of that but I'm not quite familiar with them. I've owned African clawed frogs, leopard frogs, and a fire bellied toad before, but nothing big. Any suggestions?

Silicone sheets are fine. Anything goes. We're really at the desperate level now

How about you use a big type of plastic container and just put it in the space there? Maybe add some steps to get up to it?

OK forget the fish, frogs, etc...

Has anyone thought about the long term implications of leaving water sit in a tile and grout shower basin? Asking for nothing but trouble in my opinion. Removal of a shower in a bathroom is well from an investment/real estate viewpoint a bone head move. You would save more money going out and buying a new Elos tank, LED fixture, etc....

OK forget the fish, frogs, etc...

Has anyone thought about the long term implications of leaving water sit in a tile and grout shower basin? Asking for nothing but trouble in my opinion. Removal of a shower in a bathroom is well from an investment/real estate viewpoint a bone head move. You would save more money going out and buying a new Elos tank, LED fixture, etc....

I couldn't agree more. Also, the OP said that this is an apartment... is the landlord ok with you putting silicone over their drain? I honestly think you'll kill everything you put in there. Just think about all the chemicals you've used in the shower (maybe not you, but people before you).

I couldn't agree more. Also, the OP said that this is an apartment... is the landlord ok with you putting silicone over their drain? I honestly think you'll kill everything you put in there. Just think about all the chemicals you've used in the shower (maybe not you, but people before you).

How did I miss apartment???? :nono:

This is not a good idea and probably against your lease. You rent, you don't own. What happens when the landlord comes to make some kind of repair or inspection and finds his shower has been turned into a fish tank? It's not your property and you have no right to amend it in any way. You agree to that when you agree to rent.

I do think getting a separate large plastic/rubber tub would solve your issue and let you proceed with your plan.

LyndaB said:
This is not a good idea and probably against your lease. You rent, you don't own. What happens when the landlord comes to make some kind of repair or inspection and finds his shower has been turned into a fish tank? It's not your property and you have no right to amend it in any way. You agree to that when you agree to rent.

I do think getting a separate large plastic/rubber tub would solve your issue and let you proceed with your plan.

+1 to lyndab.
Have you considered buying a little kiddie pool for this? I would NOT mess with the house itself as your deposit is more than likely going to go right out the window.

+1. The grout isn't designed for that. Over time, when it leaks, it's not going to e pretty. Just get a plastic bin.

Oh I was assuming he planned to put down a liner of some sort.. yea I would never ever put living things into something like that, given the chemicals that may have been used in there, and the fact that who knows what kind of tile or grout that is, or what it could do to ph and whatnot.

I think its a bad idea... Its an apartment, not your home payed for. Not that it might not be cool, just not the right situation.

Why not a fish tank for now?

Back
Top Bottom