Pond Stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Finntastic

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello, over the past two week me and my dad have built a 1,200 gallon pond and we need some help with stocking. We don't want koi or goldfish because both of us think that they are to normal. Are there any native fish in North Carolina available for this pond other then mosquitofish?

You could do Sunfish. Just go fishing and bring some back lol they should accept live foods like worms and crickets because that is their normal staple along with other insects. Over time you could wean them over to pellets.

Caleb

Check your laws before you do that. In my area it's illegal to transport native fish in water unless you have a receipt to prove that it was bought at a store and that's just for unregulated fish any fish that is regulated needs a permit. Even if it is legal to catch and keep as a pet I would suggest setting a trap or seining nets so you don't cause any injuries that could stress them even more then being caught and put in a little pond

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Check your laws before you do that. In my area it's illegal to transport native fish in water unless you have a receipt to prove that it was bought at a store and that's just for unregulated fish any fish that is regulated needs a permit. Even if it is legal to catch and keep as a pet I would suggest setting a trap or seining nets so you don't cause any injuries that could stress them even more then being caught and put in a little pond

Don't get me wrong but a 1200 gallon pond doesn't seem small lol. As adults smaller sunfish species can live in 40g tanks. That's plenty of room for a nice group of them. But YES check the local laws!

Caleb

You could keep pumpkinseed, sunfish, and maybe even a largemouth bass, but I don't recommend it. You could probably do a turtle pond as well, that would be cool. I would do sunfish and as another North Carolinian, the classic pumpkinseed.

You could keep pumpkinseed, sunfish, and maybe even a largemouth bass, but I don't recommend it. You could probably do a turtle pond as well, that would be cool. I would do sunfish and as another North Carolinian, the classic pumpkinseed.

I love pumpkinseed, my friend has a pond and i could catch baby fish there if he lets me.

If you're near Charlotte like me or closer to the mountains, it would be easy to find a stream or lake or dock or whatever and set a couple traps for pumpkinseed. They are so cool, and max out at 6". Good luck fishing pif you do go with them.

If you're near Charlotte like me or closer to the mountains, it would be easy to find a stream or lake or dock or whatever and set a couple traps for pumpkinseed. They are so cool, and max out at 6". Good luck fishing pif you do go with them.

I'm really close to greensboro. Me and my dad are planning to go to alocal creek that has lots of mosquitofish and catch some stuff there.

Sweet, I'm pretty much right next door! In Huntersville there's a store called Upscale Aquatics, you might want to call there if you can't catch anything you want (Which I highly doubt) because they can order anything for you for free. They have gar and a lot of other natives. Are you going with pumpkinseed and perch?

Sweet, I'm pretty much right next door! In Huntersville there's a store called Upscale Aquatics, you might want to call there if you can't catch anything you want (Which I highly doubt) because they can order anything for you for free. They have gar and a lot of other natives. Are you going with pumpkinseed and perch?

We are not sure what to put in the pond yet, but my friends pond is stocked with grass carp, multiple types of sunfish, small mouth and largemouth bass.

Sounds cool, I'd go on a collecting trip in the lake. Just try not to catch bass this time of year because all the spawns and eggs just hatched, and all the males and females are guarding their nests from predators. Saw this myself at the dock today, bass kept scaring off perch which made them impossible to catch! If you want to go with carp, be warned that most species reach over 2 feet in length. For example, Grass Carp:
IMG_4130_edited2-11.jpg
Anyway, largemouth bass would be so cool, and a school of sunfish would make it perfect, Just make sure to add rocks, logs and wood and some kind of cave for the bass if you do go with them. They will most likely spawn, males will fight and when they do spawn they will protect eggs and fry until they are all frown up. They are really cool fish and would make the pond a great success!

We finished the pond but there might be a leak in the lining.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1430954662.164578.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1430954678.753723.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1430954691.166942.jpg

If the leaks small I wouldn't worry about it. The weight of the pond plus the moisture from a small leak should pack the ground in hard enough that that water isn't able to go anywhere. Looks really good I wish I could have that in my yard.

Its not hard to patch a small leak either if necessary. I've done it before. As long as its small its no worry.

+1 if you're not having to ad water every day or 2 it's probably just water evaporation and I would just leave it

Back
Top Bottom