Porc Chop's Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok ammo did indeed drop to 2 ppm. I put another cap in to bring it back up. I'm thinking since I have skimmer action it's broken in already I can unplug it so it doesn't suck my ammo out again. Can anyone confirm that's the right thing to do?

once broken in your good. break in is just to get all the oils and what not from manufacturing off and out of the way so it can do its thing.

Ok cool. That thing works like a champ and there isn't even any waste in the tank. I'm very glad I got that one x recommended. Side note I have no idea when my powerheads will get here fedex won't give me a estimated delivery day.

bum deal about your ph's i was really wondering how that diablo skimmer was going to work, you said it broke in in about a week? thats cool. i hope it works well for you.

New pics of the tank all nice and clear. Powerhead's might actually make it tomorrow.Everything has been stable since yesterday.I'm thinking about using that light that's on there now it looks a lot better with the clear water.

Thanks . Powerhead's are not going to make it until Tuesday . I really like the look of the pool filter sand to me it looks very natural . What do you think of the light? It's a 4 ft 10k 50 50 bulb.

Thanks . Powerhead's are not going to make it until Tuesday . I really like the look of the pool filter sand to me it looks very natural . What do you think of the light? It's a 4 ft 10k 50 50 bulb.

Yeah, I like the pool filter sands look too. Gonna be putting it in my 90g as well.

The lights look good, since youre going fish only if you like it then keep it. :) No special lighting required.

Anyone have some tips on ammo dosing? I took it up to 4ppm. I don't know if I need to keep checking it everyday and add ammo if needed or if it's just a one time thing and I should just test daily for nitrites.thanks

this early in the game i dont think you need to check every day. once every three. until your cycle starts. then yes you want to keep it up around 4ppm and check and add as needed. say every other day?

right?

So even when I have nitrites and my ammo starts to drop I need to dose ammo back up?that's the part I really don't understand

oh yeah... yes still dose. you have to keep feeding the cycle until you can turn 4ppm to nitrates in a 12? hour time span. as you cycle progresses it will be a daily feeding as the bb that turns trite to trate grow.

Makes sense. It seems this way there will be a lot more bb than if I dosed once and let it cycle by itself.

yes. ive read that low pH can stall your cycle too. mr_X often recomends pointing a ph at the surface of your tank to aerate the water for gas exchange is a good way to help keep it where it needs to be.

Yea I know about that. Tuesday the powerheads will be here. I have been checking the p h daily so far always been at 8.I can't think anything to do in the mean time so the ph won't crash besides stirring the water with a net like I have been doing.

Back
Top Bottom