Porc Chop's Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i think you will be fine until they get there. oh, i also read that raising the temp will help your cycle too. just throwing stuff out there.

Yep. Still haven't got my other heater yet so I can't raise the temp. I was thinking I can put my 100 gallon air pump up there but it's packed away.

I have mine on either side wall in all my tanks. about halfway from top to bottom. You can try pointing them both at the front glass to get both streams hitting each other. this can create a really good chaotic flow. You want no dead spots at all on the sand or rocks. :)

Hondatek said:
Got my powerheads today. I could use some help on the placement of them. Thanks

Place them both on one side at the top. In a few hours it'll create a loop in the tank that make a loop through the tank. This makes flow every where.

I'll try to do it later and get pics. Came home happy I had my powerheads. Fed my fish.after i unpacked the ph. and found one of the first discus I got is dead for no reason either. Going to be a long night or fish stuff.

I got them in there. You can't see them in a picture because of the black background so no pics. I can feel flow with my hand pretty much all over the tank . I have the streams colliding so good i get little funnels at the top of the water. Also put a pinch of flakes in there and they went all over . Still no trites yet so not much else to update.

When should I add the cheato to my fuge? I'm thinking I should wait until my trates show up so it's not counterproductive . Thanks

Still no nitrites yet. I know it varies but about how long should it take for them to show up using the ammonia dosing method?

4 ppm of ammo. I filled the tank not this Sunday that just passed but the Sunday before that.so it has been 11 days .

Has the ammonia gone down? I would have expected some nitrites by now...you havent done any water changes have you?

I think it should be coming soon. :)

The ammo is the same now. It did go down when I turned my skimmer on the second day but I turned that off and dosed it back up. Just got back from the Lfs and had him test it as well. He said they are starting to show up. The color isn't clear blue so he thinks in a day or two it should be purple. I have only topped of my sump no water changes. I was thinking of putting a bio wheel from my established tank in the sump. I figure Apastasia can't grow on something that's not submerged but I don't know for sure.

Topped off my sump today. Turns out sand from my fuge section is leaking into my bubble trap area . Does this mean I have to redo the whole sump? And start the cycle all over?

I'm not sure I can help on that, lol, but how is it getting through to the trap? with the water current or under or over?

Coming from the bottom of the tank between the glass and my baffle. It's not much sand but it's only going to get worse. Thinking I can just cut the bubble trap out and make my fuge bigger if it starts to get worse

you can stop the overflow to your sump and keep cycling your tank while you repair the sump. this really shouldnt be much of a set back for you, just a hassle

Quick update . Ammo is at 4 ppm nitrites are off the charts and nitrates are almost at 5 ppm. One bad thing is my salinity has jumped up to 1.027. I had extreme amount of evaporation last night and I had to use water from my current tank to top the sump off since I had no r o water or any conditioner . Going to change 5 gallons out everyday until that goes down.

Back
Top Bottom