Possible Overstocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
African Dwarf frogs need a shallow tank. Assuming this tank is anything more than 12" deep or so I wouldn't put any in there.

They have assassains snails. What are they like? Do they reproduce?

I was thinking 1 assassain snail and 1 amano shrimp with 2-3 African dwarf frogs.

I was thinking 1 assassain snail and 1 amano shrimp with 2-3 African dwarf frogs.

The frogs might eat any shrimp that's small and moves near it's mouth as it usually sits and waits for something to move by and then he strikes. So unless the shrimp r big..... Idk. My African dwarf frog ate 3 ghost shrimp yesterday

Not true exactly. Mine is in my 50 and does fine
"fine" and "thriving" are two different things. Some links supporting the statement of tank depth:

Care Sheet: African Dwarf Frog
Larger enclosures are better, but make sure that the tank is not too deep. Very large tanks that are 24 inches deep are too deep for these frogs. They can manage, but it is difficult for them to reach the top to breath air. I do not recommend anything deeper then 18 inches.

African Dwarf Frog Care Sheet | Exotic Pets Resources

These energetic little frogs need at least two gallons of water each, but the water should be no deeper than 18″ as African Dwarf Frogs don’t swim as well as you might expect and will struggle to reach the surface to breathe if the water is too deep.

A Basic Care Guide for African Clawed Frogs and African Dwarf Frogs - Yahoo Voices - voices.yahoo.com
Additionally, African Clawed and Dwarf Frogs are air breathing. They do not have gils and cannot breathe water. They must swim to the surface for air. If the water is too deep, they will quickly become exhausted from the continual effort required to swim to the top. For this reason, African Frogs should be kept in water that is only deep enough to require one to one and a half swim strokes to reach the top.

Well my tank is 18" high but it's not full to the top. I would say the water level is about 15" - 16" high.

Ur def good for the frogs. Trust me. Of ur still a little worried as I was when I moved him into a 50, add a high decoration so he could climb up it and has a easier time getting air. Now they do not need any platform to go on. There solely aquatic and only come up for air

My LFS have no frogs at the moment, so when they are in I will buy some. Any other frogs?

U could get albino claw frogs. They get pretty big and there aggressive and might eat ur small fish but I would just wait for the africans

I will wait for the frogs. I might get another assassin snail. They look cool.

Will the amano kill the snails as it's small and living?

Will the amano kill the snails as it's small and living?

Shrimp are primarily scavengers. They aren't going to hunt anything unless they are starving. Assuming they can get past the snail's defense then if they are THAT hungry they might attack some baby snails.

Be advised that assassin snails are just that. They will kill and eat all other snails, so once you have an assassin, you can't keep them with other types. And to keep your assassins healthy and happy, you should add a few pond or other free snails to feed them once in a while. You'll also need to clean shells out, or eventually you'll get empty shell build up. Assassin's were originally introduced to control tanks with out of control snail populations, but they themselves can get outta control if not watched carefully!

I have a roaming pond snail at the moment so I got the assassin to kill it. Can assassin reproduce? I also read that keeping shells in tank is good for other snails as they dissolve the calcium strengthens their shell.

I have a roaming pond snail at the moment so I got the assassin to kill it. Can assassin reproduce? I also read that keeping shells in tank is good for other snails as they dissolve the calcium strengthens their shell.

Assassins can reproduce but it is a slow process and they can't do it asexually like pond snails can.

Be advised that assassin snails are just that. They will kill and eat all other snails, so once you have an assassin, you can't keep them with other types. And to keep your assassins healthy and happy, you should add a few pond or other free snails to feed them once in a while. You'll also need to clean shells out, or eventually you'll get empty shell build up. Assassin's were originally introduced to control tanks with out of control snail populations, but they themselves can get outta control if not watched carefully!

That's a good point to make about the snail shells. I had a shell graveyard that got blown to one corner of the tank I had to siphon out every couple weeks :)

75748-albums12252-picture56656.jpg

Back
Top Bottom