Post your Tips and Tricks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish_lord

Aquarium Advice Regular
Maybe you know a tip somebody else does not know this is a general post so for example if you put vinegar on a rock you have found you will know whether it fizzs or not that It is aquarium safe if it does not fizz and unsafe if it does fix this can save a fortune instead of buying store purchased rocks
Post your tips and tricks guys

20 gallon fancy goldfish tank
150 gallon koi tank
60 gallon cichlid tank
2 gallon neon tetra tank

Don't buy fish if you don't know what they are

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Don't buy fish if you don't know what they are

Simple but great tip

150 gallon koi tank
60 gallon cichlid tank
2 gallon neon tetra tank

Do plenty of research before you bring that cool fish or pretty plant/coral home.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

If you have extra money, purchase a battery powered air pump

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have never heard of a battery powered air pump.great if you lose power in the house :)

150 gallon koi tank
60 gallon cichlid tank
2 gallon neon tetra tank

Taking a spare power head attach an unused sock with a rubberband to the outlet and and piping about 5" to the inlet. You have your own small portable water vac, do it once a week in my dead spots.

Note: must submerse power head and tubing. Adjust pipe to depth of tank.

Great tips so far :)

150 gallon koi tank
60 gallon cichlid tank
2 gallon neon tetra tank

If you have extra money, purchase a battery powered air pump

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Had to use both of them today for a few hours. Really came in handy. Just out of curiously do they hav battery operated heaters

I would say the heater would use too much power to be able to run for long at all and the potential hazard of leaking but you never know hopefully somebody knows :)

150 gallon koi tank
60 gallon cichlid tank
2 gallon neon tetra tank

Had to use both of them today for a few hours. Really came in handy. Just out of curiously do they hav battery operated heaters

Are they as powerful as a socket air pump.and just curious as to why you needed to use them?

150 gallon koi tank
60 gallon cichlid tank
2 gallon neon tetra tank

Taking a spare power head attach an unused sock with a rubberband to the outlet and and piping about 5" to the inlet. You have your own small portable water vac, do it once a week in my dead spots.

Note: must submerse power head and tubing. Adjust pipe to depth of tank.

Holy crap. I love this. !!!

Run a sponge filter in every tank. With battery powered pumps, you'll be guaranteed filtration during a power outage (so you don't have to worry about ammonia building up). You'll also be able to instantly cycle any tank just by transferring a sponge filter from a mature tank, so you can set up a hospital or quarantine tank on a moment's notice. They're so cheap, I'm shocked that everyone doesn't do this.

When filling an empty tank, for tall preferably, fit a bowl like strainer, and pour from your bucket into the strainer. Can be a bit trucker when first starting off, but can save your sand\gravel from pothole's since the bowl strainer takes the brute force of the water and distributes it to the holes in the strainer.

-Weston --Sent Via The Space Time Continuum--

TIPS;
1.Change as much water as possible as often as possible.
2.Drip acclimate all new fish(preferably to QT).
3.Read up and look at pictures of fish diseases,and their symptoms and treatment.Then see what stores around you have what for meds.
4.Prepare your water ahead of time if large volume or not using "python"system.
5.Offer fish good variety of dry and frozen food.
6.ENJOY.:facepalm:

Run a sponge filter in every tank. With battery powered pumps, you'll be guaranteed filtration during a power outage (so you don't have to worry about ammonia building up). You'll also be able to instantly cycle any tank just by transferring a sponge filter from a mature tank, so you can set up a hospital or quarantine tank on a moment's notice. They're so cheap, I'm shocked that everyone doesn't do this.

I did for a while but it was just noisy running all those pumps in my main room :ermm:

I did for a while but it was just noisy running all those pumps in my main room :ermm:

Sometime around when i was 11 I got used to it, and now I can't sleep without it lol. When I first left for college I had to download MP3s from fish tank videos on youtube and play them on a loop to get to sleep. It's been so great to have the real thing back- two filters and an air pump, the lullaby of aspiring marine scientists :ROFLMAO:

Holy crap. I love this. !!!

Really convenient for small tanks where you run out of water before you finish doing a vac. Before I started this it was impossible to clean my 5gal and did more of a 75%water change.....

Back
Top Bottom