powerhead gph question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rsquared333

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am planed on having 2 maxi-jet 1200 without a wavemaker then I saw this:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=12061&N=2004+2032+22788

Seems like a good deal compared to buying everything separately. The question I have is that I am setting up a 46 gal bf reef tank with these specs:

Tank: 46 gal bow front

Lighting: Coralife aqualight 36" 2x96 compact strip light w/2 lunar lights

Protien Skimmer: Aqua C Remora w/ maxi-jet 1200

Heater: 2 150 watt

Filtration: Live rock (70-80 lbs including base rock) and live sand (3"-4")

Sump/Fuge: 20-30 gal
600 gph overflow box
Mag 7 return pump

Which would be the best powerhead/wavemaker system for me? the Model 900 Wavemaker System (690 gph - 230 gph x 3) seemed good cause that would give me 15gph per gal but would that be too much with the return flow of the return pump or is it ok because they are alternating and everything is never on all at the same time? If that is the case would the Model 1200 Wavemaker System (885 gph - 295 gph x 3) be even better? If there is anything else you need to know to figure out the best system for me please ask I am really stuck with what to do here.

I don't think you're going to have too much current even with the 1200's. As you said, they aren't all on at the same time. I can tell you the Natural Wave strip works very well and that MJ's are about the best (IMO) powerhead you can get unless you spring for Tunze ($200+). However, I can also say, from experience, that the PH's are a pain to keep attached once they get some age on them...always falling off. You will have to clean them periodically or the intake strainers will clog. Algae loves to grow on and behind them. They also (again, IMO) detract from the appearance of the tank. For not a whole lot more money, you could go with an external pump and a SQWD. This would give you the wave action you're looking for without all that stuff hanging on the walls of the tank. It will also add less heat to the system which may or may not be an issue for your tank. A good external pump will run for years and years. Just my thoughts FWIW :mrgreen: .

what would you recommend and where and what is a SQWD? I haven't heard of this option before but I would spring for it if it is better for the tank and makes the tank look better

what would I hook this up to? an external pump or my return pump? would it pump air or water? what kind of pump would I need for my tank?

Have it connected to the water pump, canister filter, or powerhead outlet. You would have a inlet tube to pump pump to SCWD then split it to 2 returns. The SCWD will just switch flow between the two outlets giving a random current.

also were would I place it in the tank? sorry about all the question but I have never seen this way before and am very interested because I was already worried about the powerheads because they seem to kill quite a bit of fish and anemones

That is the nicest thing about it. You can have a supply tube from the tank to an external pump outside the tank. The SCWD unit goes outside and then the 2 returns into the tank. That means that in the tank you will only see the supply and 2 returns. It is commonly called a closed loop setup. You can probably find more by doing a search for that here.

It will do fine. How many GPH is your pump rated for? The connections and SCWD will reduce the flow somewhat.

its a mag 7 so 700 gph but it will pump up about 3' so that will knock it down some. what is a gph to look for cause I could just ge a bigger mag pump.

I would go with the pump you have and add a second smaller powerhead to make up the rest. Of course this unit would be inside the tank. That would make it so no new overflow is needed.

On second thought you could just add a 2nd pump to use with the SCWD and nothing new into the tank but the 3 lines. add a pump that would give another 400-500 gph for this and you would be done.

I would just get a pump that could be supplied from an intake tube in the tank. If you supply it from the sump you would need to add another overflow or a larger overflow to accomodate it.

so I would just run a tube from the tank to the pump than from the pump to a tee connected to the scwd and the return pump. right?

thank you soo much for your help i didn't tell you that but you are awsome. thanks again I think I understand what is going on now. if what I just said was right

Back
Top Bottom