powerheads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TankBoss

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Anything I should know before buying a powerhead? I'd like to add some water movement behind my rock-work in my 55 gallon. Thanks

I have two marineland maxi-jets, and they work great. Plus you can switch them between powerheads and circulation pumps.

Fishkeeper26 said:
I have two marineland maxi-jets, and they work great. Plus you can switch them between powerheads and circulation pumps.

What does a powerhead do that a circulation pump doesn't?

Power heads have an intake tube that can bring water from the bottom of the tank into the top, and they disrupt the surface tension to provide better oxygen exchange. Circulation pumps just push water without actually drawing it in and usually don't provide better oxygen exchange

So if I want to make sure waste doesn't settle in dead spots behind my rock work I should probably use a circulation pump?

You could use either one but the circulation pumps are easier to work with, they come with magnetic mounting brackets and easier to aim.

Yea either one works, I am using power head as a circulation pump in my 20g Long planted.

Back
Top Bottom