Predators or Community

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

I am getting ready to fill my 55g tank, and I still can't decide what fish to get! I've narrowed it down to either 70 cardinal tetras or 5 Red Belly Pirrana. Each has its advantages, what do you guys think?

being fond of my fingers, I'd vote for the tetras :)

I've heard that the Pirrana aren't as bad as they're made out to be, but, hey, I know that that won't happen every with a Tetra :mrgreen:

Plus, I like more fish... depends on which you favor - more or bigger...

If it's a planted tank, I bet a large school like that would look gorgeous with a nice plant bed.

Good luck with the decision - bet it's one more of us would like to have.

I don't think it would take long for the parinhas to out grow a 55. Same thing with 70 cardinals. I hope you plan on cycling the tank first. After the tank is cycled, try adding the cardinals 10 at a time, but 70 is toooo many. :D

predators

they are fun to watch them eat other smaller fish

community in a plated tank, im fond of small fish, though tetras are slightly boring, go for tiger barbs if you like schooling and lots of eating too :p they're like mini pirrana

Definitly gotta go with the community tank. I like Fishyfanatics idea, that way you will still some of the larger fish eating the smaller like Rudy likes! :lol: You can get a lot more variety out of a community tank as well. I really like pirranas but you just cant beat a community tank wth several species. You can keep tiger barbs with tetras too (if you get a big enough school, they will nip each other IN THEORY).

Fishyfanatic said:
I'd vote for a couple different schools of tetra's. Maybe 5 schools of 10.

What kinds do you think? I was thinking maybe not just tetras, but I like your idea of different schools. Maybe 10 Neons, 10 Zebra Dainos, and what else? I'd love to hear some suggestions.

Preditors / cichlids, they are fun to watch especially when breeding :lol:

I am considering making my 55 gal a community tank with lots of different schools as well. Based on your suggestions, I would recommend maybe:

6 True Rummynose Tetra's
6 Neons
6 Boesemani Rainbow
6 Zebra Danio

You'll definately want to have a Pleco in there. I'd recommend a Rubbermouth pleco. Or a Bristlenose pleco. The schooling fish should keep you at about 54 inches when they are full grown. The pleco will stay relatively small. What do you think? You could also substitute the Cardinal Tetra's in place of another one of the schools.

I think that sounds perfect, I am going to do that. Right now I have a Royal Pleco and a Snowball Pleco in the tank as the only occupants, so that part is already covered. Thanks for the expert advice ff.

Well the Royal plecos get quite large, not so sure about the snowball. You could still keep all those, if you keep up with the maintenance. Plecos are big waste producers, especially at bigger sizes. Maybe you should have 3 schools of fish instead of 4? :?

RoK said:
Well the Royal plecos get quite large, not so sure about the snowball. You could still keep all those I guess, if you keep up with the maintenance. Plecos are big waste producers, especially at bigger sizes. Maybe you should have 3 schools of fish instead of 4? :?

Do you think 4 schools of 6 are too much like fishyfanatic suggested? The plecos are about 3" each right now, so its going to be one empty tank for a few years with only 18 small fish and two tiny plecos. But if that is best that is what I will do. What does everyone think?

Also, any other suggestions besides 6 Boesemani Rainbows? At about $12.99 each its just too expensive for a tiny fish. Plus I would have to order it online or really search for it because none of the lfs by me carry them.

I was thinkg about either Glowlight Tetras or Green Fire Tetras. Good choices?

You can replace the Rainbows Tony. It was just a suggestion of fish that can be kept together. Having 4 schools of 6 won't be too much. If you have 4 schools of 6 in Tetra's, you are looking at about 48 inches of fish. The pleco's, I don't really count them going towards the 1 inch per gallon guideline. That's as far as swimming room is concerned anyway. They do produce waste, but the tetra's are not messy fish. They pretty much counteract each other. Just be sure to keep up with your weekly water changes. The Glowlight and Green Fire are great choices. I wasn't sure if you wanted to keep only Tetra's or if you wanted to expand into other fish choices. That's just why I suggested the Rainbows. As far as the Royal goes, as he gets larger, you may want to take him back to the lfs. The snowball is sufficient.

Fishyfanatic said:
You can replace the Rainbows Tony. It was just a suggestion of fish that can be kept together. Having 4 schools of 6 won't be too much. If you have 4 schools of 6 in Tetra's, you are looking at about 48 inches of fish. The pleco's, I don't really count them going towards the 1 inch per gallon guideline. That's as far as swimming room is concerned anyway. They do produce waste, but the tetra's are not messy fish. They pretty much counteract each other. Just be sure to keep up with your weekly water changes. The Glowlight and Green Fire are great choices. I wasn't sure if you wanted to keep only Tetra's or if you wanted to expand into other fish choices. That's just why I suggested the Rainbows. As far as the Royal goes, as he gets larger, you may want to take him back to the lfs. The snowball is sufficient.

Don't get me wrong, the rainbows were a great idea, beautiful fish! I just can't afford 6 right now. Thats for all of your help, I really like the fish you picked for me. I'll be getting the first batch of 6 sometime this week.

It's understandable Tony. Plus, you can always modify your tank later on. You may put all of those fish in there and notice that you could use a couple extra. YMMV. Good Luck and I hope you get out of your tank what you want.

Well, I went to PetCo tonight and kind of blew the plan. Instead of the fish I picked, I already got off track by getting 6 other type of tetras. I forget their name, but they were very good looking fish, so I got my first school of six. Read my thread "Name my fish" if you can tell me what I bought, its kind of bugging me I can't remember the name.

My tank still looks completely empty though with the six tetras and two plecos, not very interesting to watch yet.

Back
Top Bottom