Pregnant danio or tb?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

L.I.N.D.A

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
HI there im new to this forum. We have a 90 litre coldwater tank and one of my danios stomach was very swollen for weeks. It was behaving normally otherwise. Now its like the bulbous belly has burst? and am worried as my bf sticks his hands and arm in tank. When cleaning. and he has scatches due to.pet cat. Ive read bout fish TB and worried as humans can catch this. What was the lump or bulge on my danio? Help would be much appreciated.

I'm confused did the danio burst?

It could be a number of things I wouldn't suspect TB.

The name TB is misleading. "fish tb" is a cutaneous infection of a species of mycobacterium. If ur worried wear gloves and wash hands after, if u have non healing bumps go to your doc and tell him/her u could have gotten a mycobacterium infection from a fish tank.

This is nice to know just in case but I wouldn't worry about it. :)

Thanks for ur information. Cant help worrying, for years ive asked my bf to wear gloves..now this has happened causing concern as i.know TB is deadly.

Your Welcome. You shouldn't worry about this kind of infection.

To further clarify Fish TB is not the same as Mycobacterium tuberculosis. YOU CANNOT GET TB FROM A FISH TANK. You can only get TB from another person with active TB in their lungs.

'Fish TB' is a misnomer, it is referring to the infection from a species called Mycobacterium marinum. This is a RARE skin infection that can be treated with antibiotics. You could just as easily get this infection swimming in non-chlorinated water or fishing. The most likely cause of infection would be a puncture wound from a fish barb or a fishing hook.

Mycobacterium Marinum Infection Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment and Prevention on MedicineNet.com

Wearing gloves is not a bad idea as it will protect fish from soap, lotion, and sunscreen you may have on your skin.

Thankyou once again...sorry if i.misunderstood your main point. Its kind of you to clarify....

Np just wanted to be clear, I wouldn't want anyone to freak out about getting TB from their fish :fish2:

It is very likely, as you said, that your danio was gravid (full of unfertilized eggs). To be safe just keep a close eye on their behavior and general appearance to be sure it's not a parasite or infection.

Good Luck :D

Thanks again...just looking at the danio, now this lump/bulge has burst, its left a hole in the fishes side and excrement is coming out of there after it eats... :(

Back
Top Bottom