prehistoric tankmates for bichir

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

livefishguy124

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i am looking for some oddball tank mates for my sengal bichir, he is currently in a 30 and the tank will be planted soon. i am thinking about getting some granite knifefish

Last edited by a moderator:
These fish get very large and do so pretty quickly. They can eat tank mates and have a mouth that can tear apart fish so they can be eaten.

Be advised "tankmates" may not be a very good idea. Do plenty of research from reputable sources and make sure you aren't adding a knifefish which will be tormented by the Bichir. Expensive fish food perhaps. These guys can get huge and you will need at least a 36", then a 48" tank before long.

i apologies for not saying he is a sengal bicher, they are very laid back fish and will only bother a fish if he can eat it, unlike others like the delhazi, and he will only reach around 14 inches

There are very differing reports on the size these get but on one site it says 20" and this one below around a foot not including tail I am guessing. But refer to 90G aquarium the former says 48".

Tropical Fish for Freshwater Aquariums: Cuvier Bichir

After remembering someone here having one they said they eat all kinds of fish and most are not safe when the little guy gets grown up. Just a heads up for you to consider.

Especially for the tank size. You would likely be abe to locate a free or cheap 55G tank for the soon future (CL, college kid or people move outs, $1. per gallon sale, etc., you can make an offer to people who are moving for a cheap price if they can't sell it you will get it on moving day... ;) ) A 80's big solid oak credenza is a economical option for a stand and easy to paint often cheap / free as well.

Having ample space for these kinds (and most other) aqua creatures, as well as proper tank scaping reduces aggression because there are adequate territories & hiding places. More food for thought.

Back
Top Bottom