Preparing for Hurricane Sandy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I live on Long Island probably 5 feet above sea level. I'm hoping all the news stations are exaggerating. They tend to do that.

And I don't have a generator, no idea how to do that car thing, and no battery-powered air pump. If my fish could talk I'm sure they'd give me thorough tongue-lashing.

I'm hoping I'll be okay though. I only have four platies in my 38 gallon, my 10 gallon's gone, and the rest of my fish are labyrinth fish. Just gonna hope for the best.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck! Just a warning, I don't want to make you feel bad but storm surge is supposed to 6-10 FT as far as I know and cover Long Beach Island. I hope everyone stays safe!

Whoa whoa hold up. By long beach island you you mean long island?

Lbi is in NJ almost straight across from Philly, about 9 miles north of Atlantic City. We spend a lot of time there in the summer. It will be heartbreaking if it gets washed away like they are predicting! I know it's been evacuated as well as Staten Island in NY. Please be safe everyone!!!!

Just wanted to tell everybody that's going to be affected to be safe! I hope everybody (fish included) makes it through ok.

Just saw pictures of my town ( Seaside Heights ) and I'm going to assume we don't have a house anymore.

Good luck to everyone and thank you for your kind words.

Well ... Got power back about 2hrs ago which I'm grateful for. Can't say the same for some of the surrounding neighborhoods. I feel for the 100+ homeowners at breezy point whose homes went up in flames.

The homes of my brother in law, wife's cousin, aunt & uncle were flooded. People used row boats instead of cars. Hope other members faired as well as I thankfully did.

JerseyGirl1385 said:
I can't do anything.

I have the tanks running with no lights and I'm not home. I fed them minimally yesterday and did a WC last night.
To be honest the way things are looking i don't even know if I'll have a house when we get back, let alone fish tanks.
I had to evacuate bc I live 3 houses in from the boardwalk and the ocean was nicely making her way up to the boardwalk this morning. :)
Good luck to everyone and stay safe!

You, your family, your belongings and your aquatic friends are in my prayers.

JerseyGirl1385 said:
Just saw pictures of my town ( Seaside Heights ) and I'm going to assume we don't have a house anymore.

Good luck to everyone and thank you for your kind words.

God bless you, your neighbors, and family!

I got off lucky. The hurricane wasn't so bad on long island. No flooding and only a few broken trees. We just got the power back too. My fish got so pissed from the sudden bright light after being in the dark for so long.

Sorry about your home, Jerseygirl. Maybe you'll get lucky! Hope your fish are okay too.

I'm sorry JerseyGirl. I saw the images also. My condolences to you and your family. This is a terrible loss for you and I'm sure has hit you hard. No words can describe what you've lost.
You and your family are prayed for by every person here, I am sure.
Sincerely,
Emerald76

Watching "Rock Center" showing the damage. My thoughts go to all of you dealing with this madness. It's sooo sad...

emerald76 said:
I'm sorry JerseyGirl. I saw the images also. My condolences to you and your family. This is a terrible loss for you and I'm sure has hit you hard. No words can describe what you've lost.
You and your family are prayed for by every person here, I am sure.
Sincerely,
Emerald76

I could not have said it better

Back
Top Bottom