prime to use during cycle, experience?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carpediem

Aquarium Advice Activist
two months after setting up my tank (see tank won't cycle post) and straight 1.0 Ammonia and 0 Nitrites and 0 Nitrates daily, I am finally contemplating prime (which is supposed to be a combination of stress coat and ammo-lock). Has anybody used this before during cycling? The question now is having ammonia (converted into non-toxic form still available for bacteries to feed on) versus lowering ammonia with PWC's.
I really want to stick this out, but I feel that currently I am not getting anywhere close to having a cycled tank.
Who needs a gym if they can have a tank that won't cycle, lol.

I'm not an expert, but I think anything that would take ammonia out of the water is a bad idea. I know it simply changes it, but I am still leery that it will alter things too much.

What size tank? Fishless or fish cycling? How often & how much are you doing pwc's?

I agree with JohnPaul. Chemical's should not be used in tanks unless it is manditory (ie salt for ich). If you go to the lfs, chances are they will push chemicals down your throat and 9 times out of 10 they are not needed. Your best bet would be just to wait it out. Keep doing the pwc, toss in some ammonia, and let it go. I didn't read the other thread, maybe I should, but just make sure you're not touching the filter or gravel during the pwc's.

I have a 10 gal tank, with platies, guppies, cory, oto, glowlights, so adding ammonia would be a bad idea. (it is already at 2.0 today after not changing water yesterday). The fish were added slowly over a period of weeks in between, but since January 21 ammonia is up there 1.0 daily. I have plastic plants (rinsed) and gravel and added a sponge between the charcoal filter and the water output of my cascade filter about close to 4 weeks ago. I stopped adding stress zyme daily(apparently live bacteries for new tanks) almost 2 weeks ago. No difference with or without. It just will not cycle!!! So frustrating.
So, do I keep ammonia in there in a non-toxic form to push it to cycle, or do I continue with the pwc after that long time of no change at all.

I change 1/4 to 1/3 daily (well not yesterday) that is why it is at 2.0 today.

Sorry, I didn't read the other post first. Even though you have fish in your tank, you don't need to use the prime. I'm not sure exactly how it is going to effect the cycling stage, but the best way to go through it is by doing the water changes. I know, it's a pain in the butt to do it every night, but eventually it will stop. :D I've used Prime before, not during the cycling stage, and it's great for a temporary solution, but the more chemicals that are added to the tank, the greater risk your fish are for health problems.

Back
Top Bottom