Pristilla Tetra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

black hills tj

Aquarium Advice Addict
One of my Pristilla Tetra's is swimming more vertical than horizontal next to my heater. Any Ideas what might be up with him? I'm testing my params as we speak so give me a minute. I also found my last Emperor tetra dead when I got home :(

Nitrates appear to be 0 unless my test was off
Nitries: 0
Ammonia: 0
PH: 7.2

I'm doing a big PWC right now

The tank hasn't been set up for very long, right? How did you cycle the tank? You don't have Nitrates so that shows the tank is not cycled.

What ever happened with your fish in the makeshift QT bucket? Did you put him back in the tank and start dosing the whole tank? Whatever he has might be affecting the other fish. Also, from all I've read on here, some tetras are just hard to keep.

This tank is the 29-gal, the one that has been up and running for about 2 years, right? It's hard to believe your nitrates would be 0, unless you're doing lots of water changes. Wasn't it between 20-40 last week after you added your plants? Having some nitrates with plants is OK.

Yes the tank has been setup for 2 years. The pleco did die and the LFS let me swap him out for 2 golden algae eaters.

I haven't done a water change since last week. When I posted this I did a 50% change though. I took the readings before the PWC though.

Tested Nitrates this morning, still showing 0.

Are you using a test kit with liquid reagents? It's pretty much impossible for your nitrates to read 0 with the tank stocked so heavily. Is there any way the kit is expired?

Did your LFS recommend the golden algae eaters to you? IMO these fish will outgrow both of your tanks, and they also generally become aggressive as they age, and stop eating algae. They may harass your other fish, in time, but hopefully not.

I'm using the API master test kit that I just got here last friday.

I'm thinking my dad adding some new fish last week, and then me adding several plants has disrupted the cycle since it was such a large change at once :(

That doesn't really explain it IMO. Are you sure you're following the directions EXACTLY as they are printed in the booklet? The nitrate test requires a lot of shaking, lol.

I believe that for the AP Nitrate test, the instructions say to shake the BOTTLE of solution #1 for 30 seconds before adding the 10 drops. Then invert the capped test tube a few times to mix it. Then, you add the solution #2, and then shake the capped test tube for 60 seconds. I just told you that from memory, so I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's it.

Directions off the Foster & Smith Website for the AP Nitrate test kit:

Directions for Testing Nitrate
Read thoroughly before testing. DO NOT allow Test Solutions to get into aquarium.
To remove childproof safety cap: With one hand, push red tab left with thumb while unscrewing cap with free hand.

1. Fill a clean test tube with 5 ml of water to be tested (to the line on the tube).
2. Add 10 drops from Nitrate Test Solution Bottle #1, holding dropper bottle upside down in a completely vertical position to ensure uniformity of drops added to the water sample.
3. Cap the test tube and invert tube several times to mix solution. DO NOT hold finger over the open end of the tube, as this may affect test results.
4. Vigorously shake the Nitrate Test Solution Bottle #2 for at least 30 seconds. This step is extremely important to ensure accuracy of test results.
5. Now add 10 drops from Nitrate Test Solution Bottle #2, holding dropper bottle upside down in a completely vertical position to ensure uniformity of drops to the water sample.
6. Cap the test tube and shake vigorously for one minute. This step is extremely important to ensure accuracy of test results.
7. Wait five minutes for the color to develop.
8. Read the test results by matching the color of the solution against those on the Nitrate Test Color Chart. The tube should be viewed against the white area beside the color chart. Color comparisons are best made in a well-lit area. The closest match indicates the ppm (mg/L) of nitrate in the water sample. Rinse the test tube with clean water after each use.

Well...I'll go do some more shaking and see if I can come up with more results.

On a side note...my madagascar rainbows almost seem to be in a trance. They are sitting in one spot mainting their position for the most part.

Bah, I had it backwards. :p Thanks for clearing that up majolo- that's exactly why I still read the directions every time I test! :lol:

After some vigorous(most likely excessive) shaking of bottles and test tubes, I have come up with a result that seems a bit more logical. Now I'm showing between 10-20...I'd say smack dab in between them even.

So if my levels are all good, and my fish show no fungi or external wounds,etc what could be going on? My Pristella tetra is still acting the same, and my madagascar rainbows are not very active at all. All the other fish seem to be doing fine.

black hills tj said:
On a side note...my madagascar rainbows almost seem to be in a trance. They are sitting in one spot mainting their position for the most part.
I have two turquoise rainbows and they do like to hang together on one or the other side of the tank without moving around for long periods. They do swim around and separate but they are mostly together and switch their hangouts. Unless your rainbows are showing signs of distress and are still eating/pooping, they are probably fine and just acting normally.

Also, good on the updated nitrate test! That is the hardest one to get right. :)

My madagascar rainbows usually swim around the middle section of the tank. Right now they appear to be resting just under the surface. They didn't seem very interested in eating this morning that I noticed either. :(

My dad's out of town for this entire week and I'd feel horrible if he came back and there were quite a few less fish than when he left. Our last threadfin rainbow and last emperor tetra have died while he's been away. They had both been in the tank about a year.

How long have you had the rainbows? I can't remember.

Maybe all the recent activity has stressed the fish out a bit. How long are you leaving your lights on? After I rearrange anything or fiddle with my tank at all, I turn the lights out for a bit so the fish can calm down after the invasion of their world.

Well...I normally get up around 7 am and turn it on...usually go to be around 11 or so and I shut it off when I head to bed.

Like you mentioned...I think they are stressed because of all the changes lately.

Changes include:
swapping out 22w NO fluorescent for a 65w CF
new fish
new plants

With the plants in there, you only need about 8-10 hours of light, 12 at the most. If you'd like the tank on later at night, like until 11, you can always buy a timer for the light so it comes on later and stays on during the times you are most apt to look at it. (I know, more stuff to buy. :roll:)

Hard to say, but it can't hurt. Fish need time to recoup after stress just like we do. They also sleep, so lights out will help.

Back
Top Bottom