Probably a really stupid question. but with silicone........

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

plkdb

Aquarium Advice Activist
Does color matter? I didnt realize it until recently that my 55 gallon tank has black silicone as opposed to clear. Other than color is there any difference between the two? I would like to switch it over to clear if its all the same. :?:

the black is a "premium" coloring for tank seals, it generally costs a little extra

I do not thing there is any difference in durability or longevity for colored vs clear.

Why is it considered premium over clear? I would of thought that clear would be more desirable. Would you leave it as is, or switch it?

well ... the clear is never "clear" ... I mean, if they came out with a silicone that was as clear as glass, that would be the ultimate premium sealant

but if I had to choose milky white versus black, I'd go black! :)

Often, the black seal tanks are sold with a black stand and hood. The black sealant looks much better with this type setup. If you have a woodgrain stand and hood, the "clear" might go better. I wouldn't change it if it wasn't in need of a complete reseal though. A 55g tank doesn't cost a lot and changing the silicone is no small job.

I have a black tank with clear silicon

I also have a black tank with black silicon.

I like the black silicon better :D

Back
Top Bottom