Problem with my Ram

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scinocca

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys! My German blue ram cichlid has developed a problem and I would love some help figure out what it is. It is a large white growth abover her right eye. It happened once before about 2 weeks ago but went away after 2 days. Now it is back and has grown larger. I will attach pictures to the best of my ability! Other than the noticeable spot ni behaviour has changed and she still is the first to the top for food.

Admittedly my tank is a little over stocked (5 neons, 3 guppies, spotted Cory, and a golden dwarf gourami in a 10 gallon with it) so I do 1/3 water changes every 2-3 days with Prime. Did a change 2 days ago and current parameters are:
Ammonia 0.25 - 0.5
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10

I have had this tank set up for 8 months and had these same 11 fish for 2 1/2 months. Any help with what it is and what I should do would be super appreciated. I originally thought it may be ich but I thought that tended to show multiple spots. This is the only spot I see on the fish and no others are having issues either. Thank you so much for you help guys!

Attachments

• IMG_20160109_175000 (1).jpg
    IMG_20160109_175000 (1).jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_20160109_174847 (1).jpg
    IMG_20160109_174847 (1).jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_20160109_174615.jpg
    IMG_20160109_174615.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
It may be an ammonia burn, your tank should not register any amm what so ever.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thank you for the reply. After googling ammonia burn I do not see much that resembles the problem I have on my fish. I am tempted to thing its fungal or bacterial as the white spot came back in the exact spot as it was previously. I have finally attached images (couldn't figure out how to on my phone so had to get to my PC). Thanks again for your help!

Either way your water is no Bueno for rams. Need to clear some stock or start changing more water. That won't heal on its own..

That actually looks like a fungus issue IMO.
Brookster is correct about you should have 0 ammonia...
Any idea why you are registering ammonia?
The ram will be your 'canary in a coal mine' fish in this tank...
First to show issue with less then desirable water parameters.

How are you testing?
Liquid/vials or strips?

Any chance the gourami and ram have squabbled?
Niether is happy in the 10 with other fish or each other IMO...

If you don't want to use meds(kordon rid ich works for fungus),then you REALLY need to step up your water changes.
lots of good info at this links site;
this link is on fungus;
Fungal infections | The Skeptical Aquarist

In my defense the pics were not available when I commented;) bandit is king here though

Thank you. I was thinking it looked like fungal too. As for the ammonia issue I have been told the city I live in has really bad tap water for ammonia levels so it is hard to keep under control. Normally I try doubling the prime as I have heard that can help lower it. I also work in a place where I can get de-ionized water which would also be ammonia free so I have been considering maybe starting to use that instead. Thoughts?

To test I am using the API liquid test kits. I do not have one for pH though. The ram was a bit territorial for about the first week but since then I have witnessed very very few squabbles between the fish (and when I do its just neons chasing each other). One thing I did forget to mention is that I just moved about 2 weeks ago and had to move them as well. I assume this stress could also be an issue? Regardless, I think to treat it I will buy an anti-fungal (suggestions?) and do water changes every 1-2 days instead of 2-3 for a bit. Thanks both for your help!

Well hold on now.. if your tap is that crappy than get 5 gal of spring water a week and do wc's with that.

Ok I will use spring from now on. Would de-ionized or distilled not be ideal (I have easy access to each)? WIll the immune system take over and make this self-limiting or should I still get a medication. I do not want to lose her!

If you are willing to properly test the water and remineralise then the deionized or distilled would be the best.
That being said pH is only the beginning of test needed to remineralise.
PH , GH ,KH and if possible TDS but it is not necessary.
Then you would just add very little of a couple commonly found things and have better then good water...
It is a lot of work on the regular but if you prep water ahead and have a formula it can be done easily.
I prep hundreds of gallons a week for my rams...

On a side note I hope more then Brook notes the day bandit said FUNGUS as finally it has been presented...:whistle:

Fungus. I prep water like I'm in a drought.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I was going to swear bacterial but bandit assured me otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom