Profile: Clownfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
He was a really nice and freindly clown. When ever someone walked in the room hed go up to the side of the tank to look at them then hed go up to the top, prob cause he thought he was gonna get fed. You could reach in and grab him with out any fuss. Well we had a huge holloween party, cause thats how we do it at OU, and someone grabbed him and put him in one of my old bags from a pervious purchase and walked out with out anyone noticing him (or so he thought). I found out who it was but he had already killed the poor thing. Needless to say the kid paid for his mistake.

Hi im a real newbie to the marine set up. I would like to know what snails or shrimp (cleaner shrimp are a favorite) or crabs i can put with my clownfish, its a FO tank at the moment also is there any plants i can grow without fuss and with just basic lighting, How can i tell if im buying an established M/F pair? Thanks in advance. 0X

I love Amphiprion sandaracinos ( skunk clown) they are my favorite. I would agree they are the least aggressive, I use to think the Ocellaris was the least aggressive but they are still a close second

Our two TR percula clowns were hosting in anemones at the LFS, but since our tank is new, we didn't want to get an anemone. I'd read somewhere that clay pots work well, so we bought a little one and placed it on our live rock. They ignored it for a few days, but then both of them starting swimming in and around it. One of them actually would hover over it and turn on his side and start moving like he was trying to rub against it. It's not uncommon now to see them just laying in the bottom of it, although they still seem to prefer sleeping up by my overflow at night. :)

My maroon clown is a menace, he just knocks all my corals off the rocks, it gets kinda annoying. Is there anyway i could make him stop this. BTW he is hosting a big rose anamone.

Is a false percula the same as a tank raised percula? I think that I am going to get a pair when my tank is up and running, but I am not sure what and if there is a difference between the two. Anyways I think that it is wonderful that one of the most beautiful fish there is is possibly the easiest.

No, a "false percula" is a different clownfish, Amphiprion ocellaris, that looks like a "true percula." A true percula is Amphiprion Percula. The Ocellaris, or "false percula" is a lighter orange, little to no black on the stripes. The Percula clown is a deep but vibrant orange, with black bands in between its white stripes. So, you can have both tank-raised false or tank-raised true, they're two different species of fish. Hope this helps, I can't wait to get my true perculas, but they'll have to wait several months...after my cycle, they're going in last, as they'll be the most aggressive. I love them though, they're so cool.

Based on the description above I think I have one true and one false percula clown. I have a bubble anemone that the lighter color ones is attached to but the darker one won't even go by it.

The colors are a bit different on them. They are both orange with 3 white stripes.
The lighter color one has black striping along the white bands, and the other doesn't have as much.

Also I notice when then swim, the lighter color one swims with the bottom fins down and the other hlds them up against his body. They get along fine with each other and the other fish in the tank.

I was wondering if I should purchase another anemone for the other clown, he seems so lonely sometimes. Is it possible for them to "share" an anemone? They don't fight over it. If the one goes to it , the other clown will just "nudge" him away, nothing really aggressive, just kinda of like pushes him away.

Sparky

Hello. I currently have a 44 gallon corner aquarium, I have a clean up crew of 1 emerald crab, 1 arrow crab, 1 cleaner shrimp, 2 peppermint shrimp, and 3 hermit crabs. I also have a juvenile brittle starfish and a very small white star that came with my LR. I was looking at adding 2 clowns, 2 cardinalfish ,a small puffer and much later an anemone. Was wondering if I should get the clowns first? Thanks for any info. Tank was set-up 3-2-04.

My wife loves the Ocellaris clowns we have. I like them because they are always interested when someone comes near the tank. We started off with a pair from a lfs. We got a bta and the second day they both were hosting.

They seemed to be doing fine, but then 1 (already the smaller one) stopped eating and the next day he was flushed.

We replaced the ocellaris with another one and after about 4 or 5 days the third clown was hosting the bta with the first one. They both hang out with the bta and it's adorable how they all cuddle up at night. I still haven't seen the clowns feed the bta, but I've seen my cleaner shrimp steal food from it.

I find it hard to believe that there is a less aggressive clown, but I'll take everyone's word for it.

Hello all, I have a pair of Ocellaris that I got because I was told that they are the least aggressive and most hardy clownfish and I really do want a reef tank with as little aggression as possible. The clownfish so far has showed absolutely no interest in my bta or the long tenicaled anemone, is there anything I can do to encourage them to associate with the anenomies or should I get another kind of clownfish and would it be safe to put different pairs of clownfish in one 55 gal. tank? I most deffinately would like to have the association between the anemonies and the clownfish, that is one of the most desirable things in a sw tank to me, I think it is a beautiful thing for the clownfish to pair with anemonies, and also, would it be ok to put more anenomies in the tank? do you think that would encourage the clownfish to pair up with a different anenomie?
If there is anyone out there with any knowledge/answers to these questions please e-mail me with your ideas/recommendations.

Ya man i ahve the same tank and my 2 clowns love it....good luck with thte tank

well I am new to thre SW community I am only in the setup phase... but I am sure a Clown is in my future.. atleast one maybe two... as of yet I plan on a FOWLR tank once I can handle that well then maybe I willboost the lighting and go for a reef setup..

my question is.. I plan to have a few feather dusters, sea cucumber, urchins, crabs, snails, but I figured my first fish would prolly be a clown. although I am not sure on which type... I really like the yellow stripe but I heard they are aggressive.. which dont bother me. I just dont want them to kill off any other fish in the tank.. I mean only having a 55gal limits me to the amount of fish I can have and I would like a small setup but VERY nice and having a few different other fish.. maybe a goby, blenny, angel (mini) etc

what do u guys think

Dave

To my knowledege, a carpet or saddle anemone (at least thats what my lfs told me). But I am planning on getting a pair of Ocellaris clowns. They are nice, and I love the bright colors :D . But I have a 30 gal. tank and I want to know if I could have 4 clowns (2 pairs)? And will a pair share an anemone?

thanx
-Trent

i started my marine tank with my mollie, then added a tomato clown. a week later, two days ago, i added a b/w striped damsel, and the clown dominated. today the clown and mollie both are laying low while the damsel swims freely. i miss the clown doing the same, and wonder if hes in danger. i want to get another tomato clown, but fear it is too soon, or will stress and kill the other clown. advise me please. it is only 10 gal, ill be doing the 29 gal marine soon to move them to.

senorcat, that's a lot of fish in a small tank. I have a 10 gal. as well. you really shouldn't have more than two fish in a 10 gal, especially with a damsel who tends to be very aggressive and teritorial.

Back
Top Bottom