Progressions to My 5 Gallon: Run-off from "Micro fish for a 5 Gallon?"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
FreshObsessed said:
I know, i need to practice patience.

I only have 3 plants so far, I need to stock up. Ideas anyone?

Take that slow as well. Plants will reproduce and groups of the same plants look better than a mosh mash.

You'll be fine.

Take that slow as well. Plants will reproduce and groups of the same plants look better than a mosh mash.

You'll be fine.
Gooo advice! I just want this tank to be considered a jungle by the time I have added every plant I get. So right now I have Dwarf Sag, Anubias Coffefolia, and an unknown moss. Are you saying I should just stick with those plants? I'm up to any opinions!

Ooooooh you should get some kind of wisteria and ludwigia repens :).

The wisteria doesnt grow very fast, but it occupys a lot of space.

Repens grows and propagates sooooo fast.

Didn't known you didn't have stem plants.

Ooooooh you should get some kind of wisteria and ludwigia repens :).

The wisteria doesnt grow very fast, but it occupys a lot of space.

Repens grows and propagates sooooo fast.

Didn't known you didn't have stem plants.
Nice, any other suggestions?

What about java ferns of some sort? I have a bunch of java ferns coming and I'm really excited. Going to glue them to some rocks, same as my anubias. Then I can move them around the tank as much as I like. Plus, it keeps the roots out - something that others told me would be good for them.

The anubias' roots are growing and the plants all look good bar one. The one ended up with a sand layer on the leaves after a pwc and I didn't notice for a few days. When I brushed the sand off, the leaves had some sad spots. The others are getting new growth.

I am hoping the javas will like the same sort of set up. They aren't fussy with light, reproduce well without co2, and fill space very effectively. Or so I think. :)

Attachments

• image-3064944729.jpg
    image-3064944729.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 80
  • image-156670504.jpg
    image-156670504.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 83
  • image-2304322137.jpg
    image-2304322137.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 81
I think I will go for some Java Fern. I need to fill up the background space.

I also am looking for some smaller species that can fill a larger area. Like a grass, or some more anubias, I am going to get anubias petite soon. Is micro sword a good plant?

FreshObsessed said:
I think I will go for some Java Fern. I need to fill up the background space.

I also am looking for some smaller species that can fill a larger area. Like a grass, or some more anubias, I am going to get anubias petite soon. Is micro sword a good plant?

I had some micro sword in my 20 gallon and it didn't do well. I need some way to test my lights.... I have T5HOs (pinkish and white) but they are old, so I don't know how much light they were getting. I also had a problem with cyanobacteria. So I am not sure what killed the micro swords, but they just melted.

Update: Tank is getting much clearer. Picks will definitely be up in the morning/ afternoon.
Just ordered 2 Micro Swords from Bob's Tropical Plants. This tank is going to come together very nice.

Can't wait to post some picks. ;)

FreshObsessed said:
Update: Tank is getting much clearer. Picks will definitely be up in the morning/ afternoon.
Just ordered 2 Micro Swords from Bob's Tropical Plants. This tank is going to come together very nice.

Can't wait to post some picks. ;)

Go for some blyxa japonica.

Easy to grow stem plant that looks like grass.

ErinMcG said:
What about java ferns of some sort? I have a bunch of java ferns coming and I'm really excited. Going to glue them to some rocks, same as my anubias. Then I can move them around the tank as much as I like. Plus, it keeps the roots out - something that others told me would be good for them.

The anubias' roots are growing and the plants all look good bar one. The one ended up with a sand layer on the leaves after a pwc and I didn't notice for a few days. When I brushed the sand off, the leaves had some sad spots. The others are getting new growth.

I am hoping the javas will like the same sort of set up. They aren't fussy with light, reproduce well without co2, and fill space very effectively. Or so I think. :)

Allow me to suggest to you and all others, tying stuff down with string that matches the rock color. It will eventually degrade into the water and by that time, the plant will have attached itself.

I'll definitely look into that. Once my tank is no longer "bare" I will be looking into some shrimp, I know you have a Spec with only shrimp. Any specific plants your shrimp like?

Oh and sorry guys, this thread is a little boring. I promise tomorrow pictures will be up and after that plenty more updates. :)

I like
Narrow Leaf Java Fern
Crypts all kinds ;)
Mosses Erect, Fissidens , Xmas , Flame, etc
Bacopa is very easy for me
Bolbitis ( African Water Fern ) mine grows free floating or tied down
Lindernia rotundifolia "variegated" is a current favorite stem plant. Little leaves look like tiny watermelons ;)

If you can't get it here
Look for a local club
Join (for free) The Planted Tank
and Aquatic Plant Central.

You mentioned you wanted tall grass like plants. I bought a vallisneria plant for my tank and it is doing quite well. My research said they needed low to medium light, so your tank shoud be good for them. It's a kind of grass, but you can get ones called corkscrew where the leaves grow in curves and add an interesting look to the tank.

FreshObsessed said:
I'll definitely look into that. Once my tank is no longer "bare" I will be looking into some shrimp, I know you have a Spec with only shrimp. Any specific plants your shrimp like?

I love what I've got in my tank. The ludwigia repens does amazing in my tank as well as blyxa japonica. I've got this one slow growing incredible incredible bushy green stem plant that the shrimp just absolutely adore

Good morning everyone. I think my tank has cleared up enough.
I'll go get my camera right now and take some pics. I also need some help IDing a moss. Didn't catch the name of it. Pics will be up in 3-5 minutes!!!! (y)

IMG_1366[1].jpg
Anubias Coffefolia

IMG_1367[1].jpg
Unknown Moss, help me ID?

IMG_1368[1].jpg
Dwarf Sag

IMG_1363[1].jpg
Full tank shot.

We still have a little clearing up to do and it is looking a little bare but I hope things will start to fill out more soon and when my Micro Swords arrive everything, I feel, it is going to start to come together.

My apologies, but are you sure that's Dwarf Sag?? Also it looks like it needs to be planted a little deeper ?

How deep is your sand ?

I try for 2-3 inches deep in my small tanks. With sand I don't like to exceed 3".

Here is a Dwarf Sag Dwarf Sagittaria (Sagittaria subulata)link.
Only time will tell. Yeah, I do need to plant it deeper, I was in a rush.
Also, I took your advice and made as many hiding places as I could for the CPDs. They love the Anubias!

Back
Top Bottom