protein skimmer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A 75gallon skimmer should do good. Do you have a sump for it?
If you do use a reef octopus BH-1000 they're rated for 100gal tanks, if not, an AquaC Remora skimmer would do great aswell, they're a hang on skimmer rated for 75gal.

I'm going to be using the AquaC on my 75gal, so it should do great on your 55. Although I will be using extra filtration aswell, just to make life easier.

Wish you luck :)

I wouldn't make your own to be honest.. always try and shoot for double the rating of your tanks so something 100+ gallons would be good but it won't hurt to go bigger which gives you the option of possibly keeping the skimmer if you upgrade the tank size down the line.

I wouldn't make your own to be honest.. always try and shoot for double the rating of your tanks so something 100+ gallons would be good but it won't hurt to go bigger which gives you the option of possibly keeping the skimmer if you upgrade the tank size down the line.

good point on the size and the diy ones dont work?

chiclidlover81 said:
good point on the size and the diy ones dont work?

Well I won't say diys don't work cause in a sense every skimmer was a diy the first time it was thought of before the production line but there are a lot of things that need to be finely tuned to get a correct contact time on the water to be efficient enough to take up so much valuable realestate under/on your tank. Save yourself the headache and buy one that already had a production team take care of all the little things ;)

Don't get me wrong though I'm all about diy and saving a buck but this is one of those things that you get what you pay for 99.9% of the time

Mrc8858 said:
Don't get me wrong though I'm all about diy and saving a buck but this is one of those things that you get what you pay for 99.9% of the time

+1, getting into diy skimmers takes alot of trial and error. You would need ample amounts of time to fine tune everything and correct the small issues. Granted its really just a small cylinder with a neck on it, but its been well thought out and tested extensively.

+1, getting into diy skimmers takes alot of trial and error. You would need ample amounts of time to fine tune everything and correct the small issues. Granted its really just a small cylinder with a neck on it, but its been well thought out and tested extensively.

so basically you are saying "dont skim the skimmer lol"

Ya lol if you ask me there are 3 main things that you really can't get around not getting what you pay for and that's your skimmer, your Ro/Di and you lighting.

Mrc8858 said:
Ya lol if you ask me there are 3 main things that you really can't get around not getting what you pay for and that's your skimmer, your Ro/Di and you lighting.

I agree with this totally. I skimped and went with less expensive PH, and other things, but didn't skimp on my skimmer (Aqua C remora), light (Kessil LED), and filter (Fluval 406) cuz those are the most important part of a reef tank IMO. I haven't bought the RO/DI unit yet, though.

Exactly!! Fight the urge to "save a few dollars" when it comes to buying a skimmer. Aqua-c doesnt seem bad at all. I personally love Vertex and ASM but to each his own

ill give you a break down (some im not proud of and some i am going to change lol)

55 gallon tank
fluval 303
deep blue 48" two bulb one is actinic and one is a 10,000 plus led's
200 watt heater (not sure brand)
aragonite sand (about 1 1/2-2 inches
4 lbs of live rock (this will change waiting for lfs to get in the fiji premium)
in the works for protein skimmer and ro/di

again some not proud and some will change thanks for hanging around for the journey if you would like i will upload some pics thus far.

chiclidlover81 said:
ill give you a break down (some im not proud of and some i am going to change lol)

55 gallon tank
fluval 303
deep blue 48" two bulb one is actinic and one is a 10,000 plus led's
200 watt heater (not sure brand)
aragonite sand (about 1 1/2-2 inches
4 lbs of live rock (this will change waiting for lfs to get in the fiji premium)
in the works for protein skimmer and ro/di

again some not proud and some will change thanks for hanging around for the journey if you would like i will upload some pics thus far.

First of all, there is NOTHING to be "not proud" of!! That list is absolutely fine. This is, as you said, a journey, and we all have things that we want to upgrade and change-thats one part of this that will be never-ending. Lol. I'll get off my soap box now. :)
My Aqua C remora S is a hob skimmer, works great for my 55g reef. You do need about 11" clearance at the top, though, to get the cup out.
Secondly, of course we want pics!!! We adore pics!!!

Yeah pics or it didnt happen. Seriously though, the only thing you should ever not be proud of is the ignorance to not learn more and educate yourself, which you dot have any ignorance anyways. Any salty (newbie or veteran) will tell you that it doesnt matter how long youre in the hobby, be it a year or 30 years, youll always learn new things. So just keep chuggin away and researching as much as possible;) youre on this site and asking questions... Already headin in the right direction.

34fk5qv.jpg
[/IMG]

ok so i cant sleep lol here it is (rough draft lol)

Back
Top Bottom