protein skimmer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
so i just got offered a sweet deal
55 gallon glass aquarium with cabinet stand. Wet/dry filter with bio tower and sump. included: new powerhead. heater. air bubbler. net. bucket. tubing for 75 bucks

Elude82 said:
Speaking for most, and hoping I am correct: Just people helping other people in the same hobby! We spend our hard earned money, and spend countless hours maintaining and researching our tanks, livestock, and interests. We spread our knowledge and experience( wether it's mistakes or success). We don't do it because we have to, we do it because when we were in your shoes, we'd hope or were lucky to have someone help us. We are a community! We don't compete, we admire the next person! Because its that next person, or new person, that teach us things! Knowledge is power in this hobby! Can I get an AMEN?!?!??? Lol

Woot woot!!! Well said Pastor Elude!! Lol. Nah, we're not a god send, we just like fish, and we like people who like fish. :)

That is a GREAT deal!!! I never get deals like that! Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Lol.

chiclidlover81 said:
i sell cars lol no just kidding i dont know he was asking 125 talked him down to 75 :) its my gift lol

Yeah, I don't have the gift of haggling. :( Darn.

Elude82 said:
Speaking for most, and hoping I am correct: Just people helping other people in the same hobby! We spend our hard earned money, and spend countless hours maintaining and researching our tanks, livestock, and interests. We spread our knowledge and experience( wether it's mistakes or success). We don't do it because we have to, we do it because when we were in your shoes, we'd hope or were lucky to have someone help us. We are a community! We don't compete, we admire the next person! Because its that next person, or new person, that teach us things! Knowledge is power in this hobby! Can I get an AMEN?!?!??? Lol

Amen to everything except no competition... A little competitiveness is a good thing makes a strive for bigger and better things :)

When I said compete, I was wrong in a sense. I worded that wrong. I should have explained better. We compete in the sense that we all strive to do the best we can, in most cases. I meant that we don't compete, where if we ask a question, we don't purposely get fed wrong info. If someone asks me," if I put a clownfish with a stone fish will that be ok?" Now myself knowing that as soon as the little clown swam above the stonefish, in a split second there went a $15-$200 (depending on the breed) snack for the stonefish. Saying, " sure!" Just so I can sit back and watch a failure, because his lost is my gain type mentality. if someone saw a picture of my tank, and said "I want that!". I would tell them exactly what they need to do what to avoid, and the best way of doing so. Now "competitively", I wouldn't want someone to have what I worked for, and either wouldn't give them the info or give them wrong info. That is where most of us aren't "competitive". this shouldn't be a hobby where we go about that " only the strong survive". This hobby is most of our passions. We help one another, without looking for anything in return. I apologize for rambling, but wanted to clarify.

A wet/dry is a form of below tank filtration more commonly found on fw tanks. It involves emptying water through a filter pad, down over bio balls (or other filter media) then back over to a secondary chamber that houses the return pump

Oh and amen

ok so update didnt pick up new tank guy built it him self soooo was a little sceptical lol but did however pick up a aquac remora protein skimmer:) but ammonia is high as hell so are nitrates what did i do wrong?

chiclidlover81 said:
ok so update didnt pick up new tank guy built it him self soooo was a little sceptical lol but did however pick up a aquac remora protein skimmer:) but ammonia is high as hell so are nitrates what did i do wrong?

Awwww... Too bad about the tank deal!!! Yea! on the skimmer. :) don't start the skimmer till after the cycle, though. You didnt do anything wrong. You're still cycling, so high ammonia and nitrates are expected. You probably have high nitrites too?? What are the numbers for your levels? And I forget- what are you using to cycle the tank?

chiclidlover81 said:
i brought it to my lfs and ammonia was purple and nitrites was green!!

Hi!! How's the cycling going? Have you done any research on what fish you want to get after the cycle is done?

so far so good thank you for asking and i decided

1.pair occ
2.auriga butterfly
3.hippo tang
4.naso tang
5.sandsiffting goby
6.rainbow parrot fish or princess parrot

chiclidlover81 said:
researched the naso too much room needed for it and it is a 75

I wouldnt do the hippo tang either, for numerous reasons.
1) they are prone to sickness (mainly ick)
2) they are a bigger-bodied tang, so they need 125/150g+ tanks
3) when housed in a smaller tank, it stresses them more than normal, which leads back to reason 1

Back
Top Bottom