Puffers for a 10 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Some people say that a figure eight can go in a 10 gallon but this is not a good idea. Puffers need alot of swimming space and areas to explore to keep them happy. This can only be done for dwarf puffers in a 10 gallon. If you had a 20 gallon it would open up your options a little more though. Then you'd be able to go with either a single red eye puffer, SA puffer, or 1 figure eight.

Puffers are not a good fish for a small tank IMO, the require very clean water and attention to water parameters. This is alot more difficult in a smaller tank.

You can go with two SA Puffers. They are small enough and should do just fine in a 10gal. If you do decided on these guys something to keep in mind is that they need a visually stimulating tank as they are very intellegent and will get bored quickly. You will need to be sure to provide them with snails so they get used to keeping thier teeth ground down. If not you will need to trim their teeth to keep them short so they don't starve. They are great fish to interact with and watch, I have 4 of them. I have found that they are happiest with a buddy so be sure to pick up two. They are not that cheap of a fish, from purchasing them (about $17per fish) to feeding them. Mine love frozen blood worms and crazy enough one loves flakes!!! Go figure they are interesting little guys.

W/SAPs though, be prepared to have to trim their teeth every 4-6 monthas, unless fed a daily diet of snails.

The tank I have my SAP in has ramshorn snails so I don't think I will have to trim its teeth. I am keeping an eye on it though.

Puffers are normally sedated and you take them out and trim them.

Pufferpunk can tell you exactly what she does :)

How would you trim a puffers teeth?

EDIT: Oops..didn't notice the second page. lol

sedate a fish?! How...I'd like to see a walk through on this.

if i ever DO get one or the other of the two species of puffers, i will definently use that method. how long does it take for the clove oil to uthenize-don't think i spelled that right- the fish so i can know how long i should be doing this all?r

You don't want to euthanize a fish (that means killing it), just tranq it. It should take ablout 20-30 seconds.

Puffer that would make me so nervous! How do you "cut through the net" at the teeth?

Back
Top Bottom