Pure ammonia?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rolance

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is this pure ammonia used for fishless cycle?

Attachments

• image-1096437596.jpg
    image-1096437596.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 228
It says its ingredients are ammonium hydroxide and surfactant.

Attachments

• image-3015521038.jpg
    image-3015521038.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 128
do not use that ammonia, it has surfacants in it that will be harmful once you add fish

i was not able to find the ammonia i use at any big store like wal-mart i had to go to some run-down tool store to find it

you can try a true value or ace hardware if you have one nearby, they will have what you need.

I bought some at market street! Which is united!! If you have one near you then buy this kind!!

Attachments

• image-996299990.jpg
    image-996299990.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 101
  • image-805151946.jpg
    image-805151946.jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 133
that ammonia ryan posted will work.

also if you notice in the first picture you posted of the great value brand ammonia, you see that it is foamy. that is how you know it is no good. If you are not sure if the ammonia is good or not then give it a good shake, and if you see bubbles at the top (minus the air bubbles that should dissipate almost immediately) then its a no-go. Good luck in your search!

Yeh that great value ammonia is bubbly. I'm not going to use that. I don't know about that market street but u have an Ace Hardware and they carry a Janitorial Strength ammonia. Is that ok? I think that is what is mentioned in the FishLess Cycle article on AA website. Also I think dollar general has some kind.

Yeh that great value ammonia is bubbly. I'm not going to use that. I don't know about that market street but u have an Ace Hardware and they carry a Janitorial Strength ammonia. Is that ok? I think that is what is mentioned in the FishLess Cycle article on AA website. Also I think dollar general has some kind.

As long as the only thing on the ingredients is "ammonium hydroxide" then it's ok. But if it has anything besides that then don't buy it.

I think this is the stuff. Doesn't bubble and it don'tsay anything about surfactants

Oops here is the picture. I think this is right

Attachments

• image-4197203038.jpg
    image-4197203038.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 208
DANGIT! I just got some in my left eye when i was opening the tab under the cap! It burned pretty bad and im washing my eye out with water. It says to get prompt medical attention. Think that is necessary?

DANGIT! I just got some in my left eye when i was opening the tab under the cap! It burned pretty bad and im washing my eye out with water. It says to get prompt medical attention. Think that is necessary?

Haha I'm no doctor but I would go to the doctor if I was in your position! Good luck!

I might just wait it out lol. I put a whole capful of that ammonia in the tank and wait 30 mins. It was off the chart. Way too much. Did a 50% water change and hoping it goes down

29 gallon. I used a calculator for it and it said to only do 4.62 ml. Idk how much that capful was. I did a 50% pwc and It still looks like way too much when I test it.

yeah that 10% ammonia is pretty strong stuff, have to be careful. I'd go with maybe 1/4 cap full for that size tank

Actually it looks like its at about 4 ppm right now. I'll let it sit for a few days and hope I don't go blind.

Actually it looks like its at about 4 ppm right now. I'll let it sit for a few days and hope I don't go blind.

I hope you don't either! I'm pretty sure you'd much rather see your fish be happy out of 2 eyes rathe than 1! ;) sorry, if I offended you I didn't mean to, the opportunity was just out there! :D and my ammonia was just pure ammonium hydroxide and I had to put 9 tsp in to get it to 3 ppm! Mine is a 55 gallon though!

Back
Top Bottom